Why is grip training so fun?

Guest juggernaut216

Guest juggernaut216

I have only been lifting for 5 months now and I came across grip training about 2 months ago.I find it extremely addicting and quite easy to overtrain.It is hard to look at the COC and not want to squeeze it everyday.I have always been into powerlifting but grip training is taking over.Why is it so #### fun? To me I feel that a strong grip is the first sign of a strongman.I am finding it is the most functional stuff too.How many times are you going to squat or bench something in the real world?? Your grip however comes into play everyday.I think grip training also has the WOW factor.If you bench 300 for someone they will say "is that good"? But seeing tears and bends and crushes of objects is truly awesome to see up close.I just ripped my first telephone book and people are in awe.I can bench 380 and no one seems to care.Like I said grip training has the WOW factor.Anyways I am rambling but...why is grip training so fun???

I find it hard to identify what it is that I love about grip training. I think that it's stems largely in part from the fact that we experience a good portion of the world through our hands. Touch is an underrated sense. The hands are also involved with a high percentage of physical activity. So strong hands can really make a difference.

You mentioned how often one would utilize their squat or bench power in everyday life. That is a good point when compared to how often the hands are used everyday.

A big psychological factor for me is being able to do things that not many other people can do. I have been striving for the 300, 400, 500 mark in my lifting. I have a ways to go. And when I reach that goal I will be thrilled. But there are a ton of folks who can do that or better. But how many guys out there can mash the #3? Or pinch a pair of 45's?

I have more reasons of course, but those 2 factors come to mind.

Yeah, most people have seen or touched a potato or pair of pliers, so when one of those gets passed around & then get mashed/broken just from the crushing force they're pretty amazed. You can't carry around a pair of uprights everywhere for squatting or pressing to show off thse lifts.

Guest JoeQ1966

You are right in saying that the grip is used so much more..The guys that I work with and I have competitions all the time in strength type exercises.One of the comps is the broom lift..You take a push broom and grab it by the end of the handle and lift the head off the ground..We have several types at work and we have some with huge heads on them..Myself and the guy whos giving me the most comp are the only ones to get the large ones off the ground..We also do a head and block lift..these are just 4 cylinder heads and blocks..We hold them straight out for time and its killer on the wrist to hold them..Its kind of silly but it tells whos has the hands and wrist..Its weak link competition,,once you get rid of the straps and all the other things people depend on to complete a lift you find out who has useable power..

good luck in your training

Joe

I used to take my grippers around with me wherever I went.  If I saw a big dude, I'd walk up to him and say:

"Wow!  I bet you're strong!"

He would reply:  "Yes, I am."

then I said, "How strong are you?"

Then he would get this puzzled look on his face.  Before he could say anything else, I would say:

"Let's find out".

At this point, I would break out my #2 gripper and ask him to close it.  Didn't happen.  Then I would ask him if I could try.  He would hand it back over to me... and I'd CRUSH it!!  Then I'd give it back to him and ask him to please try again.  And again, nothing happened.

So much for those strong dudes!!  :)

Grip training is loads of fun.  There is nothing more satisfying than shutting a heavy gripper or ripping stuff to shreds.   :D