Apollons Axle

guru20

What is everyones thoughts on this bar? Ive been thinking about getting an olympic sized 3" bar for awhile, but after reading some info im thinking about the 2" instead. What do you guys think?

go for 2". There isn't anything you can't do with a 2" that you can do with a regular bar.

3" no. Or are you carrying shovels for hands?

Its pretty nice, remember that it is hollow and that it will rust, not like most bars you expect. Its a great bar and plenty strong but its expensive. You can get a solid 1 7/8" piece of steel from a steel supplier for probably quite a bit less than $100 but of course then you'd have to improvise a set of outside collars.

3" is best as a dumbell.

Go for the 2" then ;)

If you've got a barbell at home already, you can give the different sizes a try by sleeving it with PVC pipe. Measure the distance between the inside collars. Get some 1.5" inner diameter PVC and some 2" inner diameter PVC. Take one end of the bar off, add the 1.5", try that. If it's not thick enough, add the 2" PVC.

For me, the 2" barbell was the better size. I got a solid bar from Fat Bastard Barbell. It weighs about 70lbs. I think delivered I paid a little over $200. I've still got the barbell at home sleeved with the 2" PVC, if I feel like going thicker. Never use it.

I second the notion of just getting a chunk of solid steel bar 1.875" and a set of shaft collars for inside and outside collars. Just make sure you keep an allen wrench around to loosen and tighten. My 6ft bar weighs about 55lbs. All of it from Mcmaster for about $75.

Thanks guys, i think 2" is the way to go...i just needed a little confirmation :). Im in Iraq right now so i dont have access to a steel supplier or anything like that, the only things i can get are the things i buy online. Im gonna look around the net for some good 2" bars. Thanks again fellas

--Nathan

I got the 3" bug after reading dinosaur training...the 2" seems to be more practical. My hands are about 7 5/8, so they arent too big.

Remember that Kubic advocates the 3" bar almost exclusively for the bench press. He doesn't push it as a grip training tool that I can remember. John Brookfield's books also denounce 3" bar work for anyone else than guys like Phil Pfister, who have, and I quote, "gigantic" hands. I have a 3" bar as well that I have used for the bench press but the Axle pwns it to the 17th power.

A 2 is more versitile. I have a 3 but I have it for, like Soil said, mostly BP and stuff but I also have larger hands so I use it for DO deads and stuff...

I have a 2" bar that I bought from Susan at Midwest Barbell, and it is a tremendous tool. I have short stubby fingers, so I have work dilligently to overcome that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats what I used for mine. For inside collars, I cut 2-2in wide pieces of the pipe, drilled a hole in each and welded a nut to each of them over the hole. I then put them where they needed to go on the pipe, put a bolt in the nut and tightened them down. Works well. For clips, I just use some 2in clamps from a hardware store. It cost me right around 30 bucks including the clamps. Since the pipe is slick, I cut some grooves into it with my dremel for a little help with grip.

1.5" inner diameter schedule 80 pipe should also work.

Nathan

A scaffold pole/tube would do you just need to weld on some inside collars.

Agreed. I have seveal thick bars that i made like this. :cool

IM wanted 165 for shipping, so i didnt get it from them. PDA doesnt ship to an APO. The FOB here is really small so i cant get one welded. Im talking to john at fbbc now, but again..it all depends on shipping price. Its pretty lame..lol.