Barbell wrist curls

Guest Jayenforce

Guest Jayenforce

I always like to have goals or benchmarks to reach in my exercises. For instance, Stuart Mcrobert lists a goal or benchmark of 250 lbs. x 6-8 reps in the bench press in "Brawn". He lists goals for several other exercises also. I have just recently started doing barbell wrist curls and I can't find a goal anywhere for this exercise. Could you guys give me a goal to work towards or even what type of poundages you have built up to for reps? Thanks in advance.

I just started doing wrist curls myself so I haven't worked up to any kind of monster poundages yet.  I think that if you work hard and consistently 225 for 5-10 reps should be attainable in a couple of years.  Any more then this is going to take a lot of time and determination.  Hope this helps.

Say, how do you guys perform them?

Originally, I performed them with the thumb over the bar.

Last week I tried doing the exercise with the thumb under the bar with the other fingers and found out that this was much easier on the wrists.

Thumbs under bar. I would add that bodyweight X 8-10 reps is a good goal for most mortals. We have some real mutants on this board ... if you are lucky enough to be be one of them you will know it soon enough. In that case just keep on adding the weight!

Mike