Its All In The Hand . . .

austinslater

Ive heard alot of veteran pullers say this lately. I agree the hand is very important. For the experienced pullers what is your favorite way to strengthen the hand in regards to the table? There seem to be alot of varying opinions on what works and what doesnt. What has worked for you guys? For me personally Plate wrist curls, thick bar thumbless deadlifts and full range gripper work seem to carry over the best.

Austin

Haven't been AW long but lately i've been doing two handed behind-the-back plate wrist curls. Good cause it's hardest when you forearm is flexed the most. I actually got this idea from something I read from you somewhere Austin, thanks!

Ive heard alot of veteran pullers say this lately. I agree the hand is very important. For the experienced pullers what is your favorite way to strengthen the hand in regards to the table? There seem to be alot of varying opinions on what works and what doesnt. What has worked for you guys? For me personally Plate wrist curls, thick bar thumbless deadlifts and full range gripper work seem to carry over the best.

Austin

IMO it's not all in the hand, but more in the wrists. Plate curl wirst curls and thick bar DLs thumbless are very good exercise. I would add some front lever type exercises to strengthen the wrists in this very important direction.

Number 10 ox,

I still do that exercise and yes its a good one. We are getting a group of pullers together in the next couple of wks if your interested let me know. It should be fun. Guys like Steve Phipps multiple world champion, John Stanton, Brandon Dye etc. will be there.

Flo,

I agree that the wrist is probably more important. I like the thumbless thick bar work and the plate wrist curl variations because they work the hand/wrist in a similar fashion as pulling. Thanks for your input I appreciate it!

Rolling thunder wrist curls........you guys never mentioned those.

I like to do a lot of pronation and so on for that pop you open strength in the hook.

I think if you get a strong enough wrist and amazing side.....you can beat anyone. I think a lot of the strength needed in the fingers would be isolated to the ring and pinky. I think this is true when you half hook and then side pressure them down.

Depending on the way you pull. I like top roll and preventing people from hooking me and if they do having the ability to open them back up.....so i train for those.

I actually do alot of standing rolling thunder wrist curls mostly static though . . .

I think I am gonna try some pinky and ring finger only rolling thunder wrist curl stuff......

Dunno if it's possible to get my hand in the right possition. But I'll try it today......and see how it feels.

You can have the strongest arm in the world, but if it's attached to a weak ass wrist you will lose every time. That's why I can beat most of the guys at my school, because they may have a stronger arm, but they don't have strong wrists so that toproll kills them every time. I like plate wrist and plate curls the most for wrist exercises as well as wrist rolling and behind the back wrist curls.

i just ordered one of these tapes i think they have more but it looks good http://cgi.ebay.com/Livin-To-Pull-Arm-Wres...1QQcmdZViewItem im going with it takes every thing to win at the table :tongue and if you dont train you will know when you get there :whistel

Definately blockweights for hands, I also love doing wrist curls with FBBC Bomb and reverse barbell curls (not a reverse wrist curl).

yes blockweights help a lot, blob bicep curls and reverse bicep curls seem to work very well

I wonder if reverse bicep curls are better than hammer curls... I've heard more about hammer curls for AW.

Id imagine if your a toproller you would have more use for the reverse curls than a hooker at least