What Is A Good Place To Start?

mauvespoon

Hi, just have a few questions about sledge levering, block weights and thick dumbells. I am planning to get all three is the coming weeks (hopefully I can afford it) and I was wondering where I should start?

I can pinch 2 25lb olympic plates but only for about 5-10 seconds at the most. I tried pinching both sides of a 50lb hex dumbell and i was able to pick it up and hold it without too much trouble. Also, I have fairly large hands: 8'' hands at 5'11''. And I am very close to closing the #1 with my right hand (possibly just need some rest from working grip and general lifting).

What is weight should I start with when it comes to block weights.

What size thick dumbell should I get? 2.5'' or 3''? (I am looking to be strong thumbs and supporting grip because I might possibly start wrestling again.)

Havent tried any levering before so whats a good weight hammer to start with?

Thanks agian for all the help. Only checking the board for a couple weeks and registered recently but already everyone has been a great help. Really appreciate it.

Well here's a question no one can really answer. But I'll give ya a heads on on a couple things. With a sledgehammer, I started with a 10 pounder. You will want to put marks on it, tape it, etc at different spots so you can keep track of your progress. Starting closing to the handle greatly reduces the poundage on your wrist. With block weights, I started at a 30lb and could lift it within a couple workouts. I think that is a decent starting point, but I couldn't tell, I'm not the greatest with pinch. Thick handles is all up to you. The thicker it is, the more your thumb has to do. I can work pretty good with 2.3 OD handle, but my hands are only 7.25. You can probably get away with using a 3 inch handle. Hope I could help out a little.

well you definetly got me on pinch! with 2 25's you could probably get away with starting with a 30lbs hex, though I normally suggest starting off with a 20lb, 25lbs and 30lbs and then working up from there. Thick handle I myself would do a 2.5" but I've got 7.5" hands, though I did order a 3" wrist roller so we'll see how that goes. you with 8" could do well with a 3" hanlde, sledge levering I started out with an 8lb hammer but I'm not to good at it since I don't work much with it, I prefer the wrist roller, but yeah most people start with 8 or 10lbs.

Hammer - Probably 8-12lbs, try them at the store

Block Weight - See what's on sale used at the local Play it Again Sports. 30 cents a pound is the most you should have to pay. Half a 50lb dumbell would be the bare minimum, you could probably go up to half a 60lber without too much trouble.

Thick Bar - 2.5". Think about how big the wrists / forearms would be you are grabbing. 3" is BIG. You can make your own by sleeving 1.5" inner diameter pipe with 2" inner diameter pipe, or buy one.

Bottom line: JUST START DOING IT. Don't be ashamed at what you can't do for now... you're just learning, and you'll get better with time and practice. Don't get discouraged and never give up. Keep positive and don't be put off by a setback every now and then; you learn more as you go along - be willing to experiment and find out what's best for you. Check back here frequently if you have a question or two as we are always ready to help you every step of the way. :)

I'd get a 35# hex or 30# blob, an 8# sledge and a 2.5" dumbell, and you will be of to a great start without needing to buy ANY thing else for a while.

thanks a lot guys for the advice

ill probably get the 2.5'', the 8 or 10 lb sledge and a couple of block weights, maybe 30 and 35

thanks again for the help