Griprite 70d Nails Vs Im Red/fbbc Bastard?

Brad Manion

For economic reasons, and the need for a lot of practice, I have decided to buy a 50# box of GripRite 70d nails; they're being shipped to a local Home Depot as we speak and I can't wait, I feel like a kid at Xmas again :rock Currently, I can consistently bend pieces of 5/16" x 7" HRS with only 45-60 degrees of prekink. I have bent such a piece with only 30 degrees of prekink, but it was a monster and I haven't been able to duplicate the feat since. I am also consistently able to bend 1/4" x 6" G8 and have just started doing my first bends with 1/4" x 5-1/2" G8.

For those benders who have climbed the ladder past the 60d, 1/4" thick G5, 1/4" thick G8, and beyond, how do the GripRite 70d nails compare to what I have been able to bend and what I would like to bend?

What's a 50lb box of 70d nails cost?

It was a little over $45, so $46, to be safe. That's with the tax included. I believe it was just $43 retail. A word of advice, if your local Lowe's or HomeDepot doesn't carry these nails, and it's likely they won't, you will have to order it through them and have the nails shipped there. I tried calling GripRite and they will not sell directly to a customer if you are not a contractor.

I suggest going to the GripRite homepage and finding the closest distribution center (that company is called PrimeSource). Take the phone number with you and the SKU (7SPK for the 5/16" x 7" bright common nails aka the 70d) up to the contractor's desk at Lowe's or HomeDepot and they can order it for you. You can also order the 5/16" x 7" polebarn nails as well, but the SKU escapes my mind at the moment.

Edited by Brad Manion

Brad, you'll notice in the list of calibrations I've pinned above that the Grip Rites made in China scale in at "only" 285 pounds, while those made in the USA are incredibly tough at 475 pounds. As a point of reference, the FBBC Bastard bar calibrates at 440 pounds.

Brad, you'll notice in the list of calibrations I've pinned above that the Grip Rites made in China scale in at "only" 285 pounds, while those made in the USA are incredibly tough at 475 pounds. As a point of reference, the FBBC Bastard bar calibrates at 440 pounds.

Thanks for the reminder Eric. Looks like I'll have a lot of prekinking to do on these nails.

Hi Brad, looks like you got a hold of some fairly hard HRS or mine was very easy :D I really like the Made in China 70s. I believe you can bend them :rock They really helped me grease the 7" stock groove. I did these and 7" square stock to step to the Red Nail then Bastard stocks. After you get comfortable w/7" stock, you can also cut these down w/o the heads etc. If you order square stock from FBBC, also grab a few stainless squares :mosher Enjoy!!!

Let us know what type you get. Thanks for the great ordering info!!!!

Well, yesterday, my box of 70d nails arrived at HomeDepot, just a week after ordering them. Gotta love it when Christmas arrives early. Well, after hitting a PR bend, 1/4" x 5" G8 DO (took 5 minutes), I decided to prekink 2 of the nails to about 100-120 degrees (180 degrees being a perfectly straight nail, 0 being the ends touch) and giving them a go.

I can now say that, Eric Milfeld is right about how tough they are, especially with them being produced in the US as opposed to China. They are much much tougher than HRS of the same thickness and length, which, with such a prekink, I could crush down with not too much effort.

From a really tough 60d to the made in china griprites, no. From an easy 60d to the made in USA griprite 70d nails? Huge. Depends solely on which 60ds you're bending and which 70d nails you would get. There's the Keystone 70d nail that Eric calibrated somewhere in between I believe 375 or so and I guess that would be close to red nail level.

The more I bend the more I realize there is huge difference in brands and batches.

Tim

Congrats on your 5" Grd 8 Brad!!!! That is a great PR!!! Guess you got the made in USA GripRites, I know those are really hard. :flame

Are they shiny or brownish?

They are shiny. The box says 70d "bright common" nails, made in the USA. Thanks for the congrats Booyah.