Is this allowed in lifting?

Sybersnott

I've got the Little Big Horn, and I'm wanting to do some serious lifting with it.  

I'm having a devil of a time getting chalk on it.  A sweetie friend of mine suggested hairspray.  I would spray it on lightly, then chalk it and it would stick.

Good idea... or cheating??  Sybersnott wants to be on the up-and-up, so I really wanna know.

Personally, I say cheating.   That's about like using rosin or tacky, but that's just me.  What do I know, I just work here.........

Unfortunately I agree cheating.  Snott, try wiping the bighorn and your hands with a towel before each rep.  Chalk seems counterproductive to me with that slick finish.

Good point.  I started wetting my hands before taking a shot at the RT, it makes it easier than chalk.  I think that would be the best way to get the LBH too.....

I think so, it never hurts to try.......

Brother Snot, Clean the horn with alcohol(machining has left oil on it) THEN put it outside for a few days to let a light covering of rust oxide form....wipe with a clean rag AND you are ready to go! Naturally the metal would rust from the salt in your hands but this just completes the "seasoning process" a bit quicker! I look forward to seeing you at the dinner next year!

Speaking of cheating, I saw a message on the net about

some guy who puts telephone books  in his oven and bakes

them. In so doing he makes the pages very brittle and so

they are very easy to tear in half. Next time I see somebody tear a phonebook (I haven't yet!) I going to inspect the remains to make sure there was no trickery involved!

About the chalk and RT/pinching any object, or even closing COC's: the purpose of chalk as I understand it is to remove any water (which is present on your hands from sweating)

which makes holding/gripping anything more slippery than if there wasn't any water on your hand. Using chalk would assist in any lift where pinching or holding is involved, I don't see how it couldn't.

1stCOC: rust on the anvil, I knew there was some trick to help lift this thing. Kind of like the difference between some plates which are smooth and a lot harder to pinch than the old ones that are rougher. Of course, even with the rust it's still going to be a bad ass lift if you can pick it up.

Using chalk would assist in any lift where pinching or holding is involved, I don't see how it couldn't.

It can hurt more than help on very slick objects.  It works wonders on grippers are rough surfaces, but I guess it creates a build up on slick pieces.  I wet my hands and started making pr's on the Rt.  Badly wets his hands and hit a pr on the slick pvc wrist roller.  It is helpful, but not in all situations..........

Heath-

Do you do the lifts with dripping wet hands, or do you wet them and dry them off?

I dry them off, and find a fan if I can.  They almost feel sticky or clamy, then I'm good to go......

Richard,

Thanks for the tip on the LBH.  I'm going to try it.  Another thing I've noticed is taking your grippers into the bathroom wilst taking a shower.  When you take a shower, the resulting steam rusts the spring.  That's why I never have them in my bathroom anymore!!

..... uh oh..... here come the jokes!!   :blush

I'm doing the RT on Tuesday, I'll see if it makes a difference. Also will come in handy for my 2 3/8 PVC wrist roller.

Guest baldy

Bob, I can assure you that it will help with the 2 3/8" wrist roller. Be ready to hit a new PR if you try it (load the pin accordingly).

Just like Heath said, wet / wash hands, dry them with a towel or shirt or whatever, then either get in front of a fan or wave them in the air a couple of times. Then proceed to set new PR.

Incidentally it also helps me with the Rolling Thunder too. I have an AWFUL RT lift, but it is even worse if I use chalk. Steve G, if you are reading this, do you chalk for RT?