Pinch gripping

youngun

For those of you who have tried IronMind's new pinch grip block you know that the biggest obstacle in going heavy on it is it's slippery surface. I found out very quickly that globs of chalk would only hurt you in lifting on this slick monster. So what I would do is wipe it down real good with a towel and lightly chalk my hands. After chalking my hands I would rub them together until there was almost no chalk left. This made working with the block much easier but it still wasn't 100% effective.

The plates I use are a cheap Chinese brand (CAP) that are hard to pinch because the finishing paint is rather slick.  Lately I've been struggling to pinch the 35s with consistency so I decided to try something after remembering what Vince Basile did. The machine he uses to pinch grip on also has a slick handle and he had a method of washing his hands and the block before each attempt that brought a lot of criticism from us here on the GripBoard. Well, I was just screwing around today and decided I would use some glass cleaner to wipe off the 35s and washed my hands real good with soap and water. Right after doing this I grabbed the 35s and they flew up easier then ever before!

I don't like cleaning my hands and the plates before each attempt but I will continue to do it until I can easily pinch the 35s without it. I will start cleaning my hands and plates again when I get close to pinching 45s. As for IronMinds pinch grip block I think this method might be a necessity.  Just thought I would share this with everyone and see what you think.

:D

Jesse,

I don't really do any pinch gripping, but it does seem like too much is dependent on the amount of friction between your fingers and the plates.  Wouldn't a pinching machine like the Titan's telegraph be a better measure of pinching power ?  

Robert

Guest baldy

Hey Jesse, I have done something similar but it is with a homemade wrist roller (PVC). Every time I use it now, I at least rinse my hands well and then dry them. If possible I actually go inside and wash them thoroughly, then dry them well. I always do the latter on PR attempts.

I haven't tried it pinching yet, but it worked well for me on the wrist roller. If I didn't do this I would usually start slipping badly about halfway up.

RSW

Eventually I will get the TTK, and it might be a better test of pinching strength, but I still want to use plates.  I just have to buy some better plates.

Baldy

How much weight are you using on your wrist roller?

Youngun,

If you ask me, pinching plates are the most accurate measure of one's thumb strength.  On this board, I know of several who can pinch 2 45's and beyond, but I don't know anyone's TTK poundages.  There are plenty of pinch assistance exercises, but from my experience, plate pinching and blob pinching are how one's pinch is judged on this board.

Greg

I definitely agree that how much you can pinch on plates or blobs is how your pinching abilities are most often judged.  Do you use a TTK?  What are your opinions on it?

If you ask me, pinching plates are the most accurate measure of one's thumb strength.

Greg,

You are right.  However, doesn't your ability to pinch two 45's depend upon how slick the plates are and the condition of the skin on your fingers ?  That is, the less friction the harder you have to pinch to do the lift.  For training purposes it does not matter, but to compare pinching strength I think the TTK is a better measure.  Still, I am impressed by anybody pinching any pair of 45's.  The 35's at my Gym stop me cold.

Robert

Youngun,

I don't have a TTK, I'm considering turning my hardy handshake into one with a few welds, and I plan to get a G-Rex sometime in the next 6 months, and it has some pinching ears.

One thing I dislike about the design of the TTK is that it doesn't give you as full of a range as it could, there is an inch of space between your finger and your thumb in the fully closed position.  If you have the Kinney video, his TTK is similar, but the top plate is upside down, so the two plates touch each other giving a full range of motion.

RSW,

I'll agree with you that the smoothness of the plates has a lot to do with it, and if you are going to pinch plates, I recommend getting a pair of old used plates with a rougher exterior.  This way there will be enough friction to better test your ability.

As far as TTK being a more accurate measure of pinching, I'm not sure I agree, but I don't totally disagree.  However look at all the pinching records, they all are static pinching.  No one has made a category for dynamic pinches--yet.

Guest T-Bear

If you had problem with the friction why don't repaint it. I tried that with a paint that is similar to that one, that is painted on weights. Besides if you spit a little in your hands after you have chalked them, you get better grip, this is of course if you, don't let others pinch on your block.

Guest baldy
Baldy

How much weight are you using on your wrist roller?

Jesse, I generally use about 140 - 145 lbs to roll once both directions. I have done 150 but can't do it every time yet. I can pretty much hit 140 at will. Usually when I do wrist roller work I only do one set, and it comes after other hand / wrist work (pinching, grippers, plate curls usually... hard after plate curls). No warmup other than the other grip work, I just load and go. This is on a 2 3/8" OD PVC roller in a power rack set at about shoulder level.

Also, I am very weak on the portion where you roll away from yourself (the same motion as a standard wrist curl). If I only roll the roller towards myself then I can go 165+. When Heath came to my house we discussed this, he experiences the same thing. However, the deficit between directions is even more pronounced for him.

Baldy

Those are some hefty weights, I can't imagine how "Herk" manages 300+!

T-Bear

Thanks for the advice. As if anybody wanted to grip train with me before there was slobber all over my plates! :hehe

Guest baldy
Baldy

Those are some hefty weights, I can't imagine how "Herk" manages 300+!

It's heavy for me, but here in this crowd that weight isn't even mediocre.

As far as Herk, he is impressive but so are you. Imagine what you will be doing if you live to train 30 more years. You obviously have a talent for real strength training, so it's a wide open door. Judging by your MILO writeup you have a good head on your shoulders. Stay consistent and don't get injured.

Herk also uses a 2 inch steel roller with knurling- Don't know what the difference is, but it would let you handle more.

My grip is the limiting factor in my wrist rolling- An easier to grip roller would let you throw alot more body english into it.

Guest baldy
An easier to grip roller would let you throw alot more body english into it.

Ah yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! :)

Seriously, you are right. I don't know what the difference is, but it surely would exist. However, I think that pain tolerance would start being a whole lot more of a factor when finger or thumb nails started peeling away from skin due to the pressure involved. All this talk about it makes me want to purchase the IM roller to see what kind of difference it makes.

BTW Bob, way to go on that huge push press (posted in the other thread). That is something that few people accomplish. Also, good to hear that you are able to squat again.