David / Mikael

smitty

I am afraid I am not up-to-speed on the kink technique that is being utilized for more and more of the European competitions.

These are the things I do know:

1. The athlete will bend the stock as far as they can on first effort.

2. A measurement is taken to determine the difference between the angle of the start and angle after this first effort.

3. The athlete must meet a preset minimum angle to proceed to a heavier stock

4. The maximum bend to meet the preset minimum angle wins.

Here is my question? What constitutes first effort?

I have seen in David's most recent bends, his first effort consists of multiple attacks on the stock. Is this ok as long as the athlete does not move to the crush down? Or, in competition, does the athlete have one attack on the stock to move it to the desired angle.

I would appreciate all information, as I said, I only have a basic knowledge of this process.

Thanks,

Smitty

Hi Smitty,

The LGC uses a one hit rule, and to 60 degrees if I remember.

The rules I wrote, with help on the angle from Pat are below. The 30 second limit, and as many hits as possible just seemed easier to ref. Pat said the angles below (45 and 40 degrees) were good for safety. For my rules, no crushdown is needed, just 45 or 40 degree bend, although I finished off the square bar yesterday just to do a FBBC cert.

The Rules for Reverse Bending Challenge

by David Horne

After consulting Pat regarding the angles for bending, here are the rules.

1. For reverse bending you must attain a 45 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts from 6 inches upwards, and 40 degree plus angle of bend for bars/bolts below 6 inches.

2. The bend must be completed within 30 seconds. The bender may notify the witness that he's ready to start the bend, after which the witness will give the bender a signal to start the bend. The clock will start when the witness gives the signal to start the bend.

3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach.

4. Competitor may not lean against any stationary object. The feet on the ground are the only permissible contact.

5. The object being bent may not dip below waist level at any time during

the bend. Reference to "during the bend" indicates the time when you are applying force to the object, obviously while wrapping, resting or positioning for the bend your

hands sometimes are below the waist.

6. Hand padding can be of any suitable material, cloth, canvas, towel, nylon, leather, etc. but cannot contain any rigid components to add leverage.

These will be inspected by referee for compliance. *Material is to protect the hands of the competitor, not to assist by adding leverage. Nail must be wrapped immediately prior to competitor’s attempt in plain view of referee in charge. Allotted time period begins on referee’s start signal. Nail must be in referee’s plain sight at all times.

7. Gloves are specifically disallowed, as it is easy to conceal rigid material within the glove, create a fulcrum within the glove, and/or bunch up glove material to the point of being leverage assistance to the bend.

8. Wrapping or taping of any part of elbows, wrist, forearm, and hands is disallowed. Wrist and tendon strength is key to successful bending and any external aid that assists in tightening of tendons/joints or increases pressure in arms (such as elastic wraps or stabilizers) should be viewed as cheating. Tape or bandage may be applied to surface of fingers and/or palm only in the event of injury to skin and should be kept to a minimum as per judge’s discretion.

9. Application of adhesives or sticky substances to hands, nail, or hand pads is cause for immediate disqualification. These substances will prevent hand padding from slipping or rotating and will remove a necessary element of the grip from the bending process.

A Lot of the rules above are the same as for normal bending.