The snott #4

jimwylie1

How did you guys at the dinner get on with Sybersnotts #4?  I read that Heath was ¼” away from closing a 4 – was that Richrad’s Phantom #4 or the Snott 4?  For those that tried it, how did the gripper compare to a PDA gripper of similar poundage, or any other gripper for that matter?

Jim, Snott's grippers didn't come out until about 1:30am.  By this time Heath (and everyone else) had about nothing left.  Kind of a bummer challenge, I guess Snot really wanted to keep his #4.  Heath was under 1/4" on his #4 and less than 1/8" on the Phantom.  He also absolutely mashed Richard's Silvercrush #3.  I think you may have seen references, but we got a little carried away on Friday night the night before the dinner.  If he was fresh, both the Phantom and #4 would have fallen in my opinion.  Both of us were a little more fierce on Friday night than at the dinner.  What a weekend!

I think we did do a little much on Friday, but i don't know if I'd been on enough to close any 4.

As usual, Heath is being his humble self.  He is an absolute CRUSH MONSTER.  I agree with Pat that if Heath was fresh, the #4 would have fallen, as well as the Phantom.  As for why Mr. Snott waited until the wee hours to bring down his grippers?  Only he can answer that question.  We were all quite worn out at that point!

Sounds you all had a great time at the dinner :). I would have loved to have been there myself, but I think I may have been a little out of my depth by the sounds of things :(  I for one would love to see Heath close the #4 and it sounds like he’s really close now.  What do you think Heath, second man to close the #4 by the end of the summer?

I don't for the life of me understand scouring the globe for supposedly "easier" grippers to aid in certification.  The challenge Snott laid out at AOBS was meant as a challenge for someone to try to "win" it, it was never meant to make anyone's closure of a #4 easier.  The above comment is right on, aren't there any #4 grippers in the UK?  If I remember, Mr. Horne has over 70 grippers, why only one #4?  

Even Heath's "easiest #4" was harder than the 621 in spite of slippery handles on the Phantom.  We don't know how hard Mr. Snott's #4 is quite simply because we weren't given a chance to feel it when we were alive.  Maybe the potential of losing his gripper motivated Snott to pull it out later, we'll never know.  If David beats Heath to it legitimately, hats off to him.  Just be prepared to get independent, UNBIASED, verification.  The enthusiasm of a group of friends can sometimes cloud one's objectivity.

Pat,

I probably have closer to 100 grippers now, but most are old and part of a collection. Yes, I do have only one #4, and since I can't close that one I didn't think I needed any others to fail on. I doubt that I'll be adding my name to the short list of #4 closures ever, especially on mine as I only get it 1/4" further than the World class gripper. Anyway, closing the #4 is not top of my list, in fact it's not even on my list. Personally I think Heath will be the next to close a #4.

As far as the guys and gal knowing if I've closed a gripper or not, I think they know a bit about grip related matters to know if the handles are touching. Also, Elizabeth is my harshest critic, and will fail me for anything! Oh, by the way Pat, congratulations on closing two #3's at the same time, a fine feat of strength.

David

Guest Jeff Roark

Dang it Pat!! This goes for me too. I am ashamed of myself for wanting to shut Heaths easiest #3 which I got down to about 1/8 or so vs. my #3 which my best is a little under an 1/2inch. I will not certify unless it is on mine. Man I really was wanting to slime in there the easiest way I could and that is a piss poor way of thinking. For that I will punish myself tonight with 330x15 in the squat(and I go deep!) along with a full body workout and a 120lbs sandbag carry for 1 mile barefoot. By the way, and it is not grip related, but I did carry a loose 120lbs sandbag for 1 mile barefoot this past Sunday. I was fresh though... I will try it while being blasted then do some strapholds.

David, when someone closes a #4 (it may very well be you) I want there to be no questions, I want to avoid the controversy with the Kinney close, the Phantom etc.  That's really all I meant.  I know I would try to be objective if I witnessed Heath close his #4, but I would darn sure hope that there were also other people who weren't rooting for him present.  Suppose I was the only one watching and I was so focused on seeing the closure point (or so excited to see him do it) that I didn't see his upper arm touch a wall or something like that.  Just take all questions out of it.

Jeff, boy you're calves sure must have been fried after that mile walk....did I mention the broken glass on the ground during my walk? (my nose is growing).  You may have been so psyched up that you got within 1/8", or it was a slightly easier gripper.  I'll tell you, there is some serious energy going around when grip fiends get together....now I know what you guys are talking about.

Guest Jeff Roark

Pat,

You will not match me on the sandbag carry Kentucky style!!! I am going to do it on a gravel road barefoot one of these days. Honestly Pat my calves and legs never bothered me at all. It was my core/internals? that was on fire! Man I tell you breathing against that bag for a mile is terrible pain. When Heath comes up I am going to carry 80% of my bodyweight for 1 mile, that will be a battle royal.

I hope someday, next year to get to train with you guys if you are going to do it again at Iron Island and your place. Hopefully then my strength will be top notch from squattin to pinchin! Take care Pat.

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, there is no question in my mind Heath will close it.  He's been down to a whisper during Phase II of KTA and that was at the end of the training week.  

Minor interruptions (such is life) have moved his final conquer to the right a bit, and all he needs is a focused period of time without distractions to his training.

One of these days soon, I expect to hear the phone ring and it will be Heath telling me he closed it.

I want to address the #4 gripper issue right now.

I firmly believe that if Heath wanted to.... HE WOULD SMASH IT SHUT!!  I am in fear of him (hee hee), and his title of "Crush Monster" is well deserved.  :)

I did bring it with me to the AOBS.... but left it in my room for some reason AND nobody asked me about it during the dinner.  Pat and Heath were so busy putting on a show, and we were all too busy doing other things; eating, taking pictures, taking video, etc.  I really did want someone (if it were Heath, o.k.) to shut it!  That's why I brought it.  We just didn't have enough time to do all the things that we wanted to do - and they even kicked us out of the place; we wanted to talk shop and all that stuff.

I want to set up something with Heath.  I may jump in the car, go visit him, shoot some video of him closing it, and be on my way.  He can have the #4, just so long as I have the opportunity of seeing him do it!  BTW.... if it means ANYTHING.... the gripper rated 535 IP and that was after being seasoned by PDA.

Snott, I see what you're saying.  I was caught up in what was going on and forgot until later.  It's no big deal to me, I was just happy to be there.  

One thing I would like to ask.  I'm not trying to be a prick, but I would appreciate it if people would drop, "Heath will be next."  I'm not doing this stuff to be next, I'm just doing it for me.  I hope someone closes the 4, when they do, I will tell them good job and shake their hand if and when I see them.

Heath,

You're so right.  But some people are OBSESSED with the issue.  I just sent ya an IM just to tell you how I feel about it.

I returned it, one thing I said was I want to close my #4 first, not anyone elses, anyone wants to send out an email to Snott complaining about it, send it here: powerrack74@hotmail.com

Guest simon lodge

Well done Heath

I said you would get closer to closing your #4 before i got my #3 iv tried to chat to you a couple of times but it keeps saying you have signed of chat soon.