Static vs dynamic

Hercules

I've got one of those questions for you...

It seems that everybody here have best results with static training:

- Strapholds seem to be the best way to improve gripper strength and it's a static lift;

- Pinching plates, another static move that adds great overall hand power;

- Deadlift lockouts, probably the best way to develop all at once (shoulders, traps, forearms, hands);

- Armwrestling, the arm is locked up, just like a static movement, yet, armwrestlers have very powerfull and big forearms.

These are just examples of the best ways we have to train, now my question is why don't we do, for instance, hammer curl lockouts or one-hand dumbell rows lockouts, etc???

Some people say that one of the advantages of high reps is that of increasing vascularity but I think that a static movement is a much more efective way of doing that because blood pressure increases very much. That's why forearms get huge after deadlift lockouts!

I also think that tendons are better developed by static training!

So, why reps??

Guest sjeff70

Hey Herc,

The only dynamic movements I can think of that you can do with your hands is where wrist flexion is involved, ie., wrist curls and the wrist roller.  I guess you could pump those grippers though!

I know what you mean by increasing blood pressure.  When I did negatives this morning with a gripper for time...man, did my heart beat hard afterwards!  I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest.  

:)

Guest Christian

That's definitely something to experiment with and think about.

I think I am going to try the new calf work I planned on introducing, as a static motion. I'll put my racks up to the point where I have to have flexed position and hold it up there as long as I can.

I don't really care that much about direct calf work, so I guess it will just be fun to experiment with!

Guest JoeQ1966

I have tried static exercises for armwrestling..I would do reverse curl holds pulley holds..In armwresling you want to be able to hold a post and not lose your hand so you do alot of static exercises to strengthen your hold.I would say that it would be helpful.My excercises are determined on my goals basically..If im doing things that require holding then I will work on holding..For a general workout I make sure I use full range of motion for each muscle..Maybe the reason static is so good for hand strength is the range is very little..You hold or only have to strain a inch or so on your hand strength..

Im still trying to figure this out myself,,keep us posted on your results        joe

This is my humble opinion-

First, I think Joe hits it on the head with the range of motion issue- Since the angle the joints involved work through is, I think the carryover is better.

Secondly, a vast majority of the recognized grip feats are holds themselves- Pinch the hub, plate pinching, Rolling Thunder, bar holds, even wrist rollers and plate curls mostly involve static action as the main challenge- Most people can curl 45 easy, the hard part is holding your wrist straight. If you want to train to be good at static things, you need to train with static movements.