Pinching With Olympic Rubber Plates

viper

Firstly, ive been jumped on about how pinching rubber plates is much easier than metal ones, so no need to tell me that

what im basically wanting to know is what are the best pinch feats done with these plates? has 3 x 20kg with one hand been done? 4 x 15kg two hands? 3 x 25kg two hands? whats the best?

Somebody on here must know, you guys know everything!

I am thankful for any replys

Viper

We know that people do not pinchgrip rubber plates if they have metal ones to do the same with.

rubber plates dont break! i dont want to fork out for a broken metal plate - surely somebody else must feel the same??

Where do you train and what is the maker of the plates you use or they brought? I've trained for 27 years and have some really old items in my collection and have only ever seen plates broken maybe 3 times. I have never broken any myself and of course if I think I'm gonna drop the weights I'll (when pinching) either use a mat or put them down quick. I've also picked them just off the floor a few inches and trained that way as well.

As for pinch feats with rubber covered discs - never heard of that as well (well until today ha ha). :kiss

Where do you train and what is the maker of the plates you use or they brought? I've trained for 27 years and have some really old items in my collection and have only ever seen plates broken maybe 3 times. I have never broken any myself and of course if I think I'm gonna drop the weights I'll (when pinching) either use a mat or put them down quick. I've also picked them just off the floor a few inches and trained that way as well.

As for pinch feats with rubber covered discs - never heard of that as well (well until today ha ha). :kiss

the one i broke was york, just a normal 45, ive heard the chip away pretty easy? was at omallys gym

Viper, I am not sure how familiar you are with the mechanics of materials such as steel and concrete, but from my understanding I can tell you that unless the steel has been stressed past its maximum, you won't break it when you drop it (can't apply enough force to cause it to shear and break) and unless you are purposely throwing them against each other, you shouldn't be able to chip them either (the steel is thinner on the edge and only has 4 sides to absorb the force). I won't elaborate anymore than that because if you understood I shouldn't have to explain, and if not, you probably won't understand anyways, so just take my word (and the word of centuries of engineering studies) for it.

I ,for one, have dropped plates from various heights, and have yet to see one break in the last 10 years (refering to the solid metal plates only).

The horse is dead so quit kicking it and man up.

Edited by sixlitre

We know that people do not pinchgrip rubber plates if they have metal ones to do the same with.

rubber plates dont break! i dont want to fork out for a broken metal plate - surely somebody else must feel the same??

Dude, I've seen 45lb plates tossed across the weightroom like frisbees (and even done some tossing!) and not break. Or even chipped. I think you just got a fluke plate with a casting defect (bubble mabye)

I have NEVER seen a metal plate break. Viper i have a lot of repsect for you mate closing your #3s and all that but i don't think you shoudl use this an excuse to use rubber plates.

Metal plates work the pinch better. Also, as mentioned many times in this and the last thrad, gripboard recognised pinches are all done using rimless, metal plates.

Viper, your plate pinching video clearly shows you standing on thick rubber floormats, but picking the plates up from the unprotected floor. You also dropped them on the unprotected floor. Try picking up steel plates from the same mats, and dropping them on those mats if needed. You will not break anything if you do this. :D

I throw my plates around everywhere. I never even heard of breaking a plate. chipped yes but not broken. It's solid steel

Viper

It appears that no one knows the answer to your question.

It also appears that owning rubber plates is a Capital Crime.

I've got some cheapass pig iron plates, and they don't break when they're dropped, so steel plates shouldn't either.

Rubber plates are awfully wide for pinching, aren't they?

Viper

God knows how you managed that idea - pinching of rubber plates is a misdemenour. Owinng is not.

im sure that plates can damage as there is a good number of plates that have bits missing out of them at the gym i smashed one, an i did throw that onto a rubber mat - i do think thats rear though, never thought it would happen, but im sure that you can chip them

i may now be training at total fitness haha i never thought i would, but they now have a big free weights section, an they have these proper oly plates with room to do the lifts, ive never been able to do em before

maybe that was a freak plate, but if i for example wanted to do a high pull with 2 metal 20kg disks, an i droped them from face level, they would probably smash together some 5 or 6 feet later - i do feel this could chip away at the plates (they would require i buy new ones for that alone), an it also would cause lots of noise, so i would probably be told to stop doing it. With rubber oly plates, i can throw them around anywhere without much noise, an they cant possibly break. Also, with the rims on metal plates, you have to make sure they are perfectly on each time you lift them, a little bit out an your just wasting energy - rubber plates can simply be shoved together an lifted up, no messing around between reps or whatever, an always the exact same thing.

if you think im looking for any kind of excuse to use rubber plates, your very much wrong, everything ive talked about are reasons - i feel its a better option, simply as that

yes the oly rubber plates are thicker than the metal ones, this is why i cant be 100% that it is easier - im pretty sure 2 25kg disks would be around the thickness (if not more) of 3 metal 20kg disks, that one would be hard

Viper

God knows how you managed that idea - pinching of rubber plates is a misdemenour. Owinng is not.

You are right. If it was a serious crime, he would be turned in to the proper authorities. I stand corrected. As a precaution, I certainly am never buying any rubber plates.

Seriously, Viper, it doesn't look like anyone has done this, it is not acceptable for contests, and for that reason is unlikely your question will be answered. Perhaps if you train on them it will build the finger strength up so that when you use regular plates, you can kick A and show everyone. Good Luck with it.

Edited by Hubgeezer

The accepted feat of grip strength is to pinch 2 - 45# (or 20 kilo) steel plates smooth side out to a full dead lift height with one hand. This is not what you have done yet - and all the arguements about rims, lips, rubber and etc is not going to make it so. If you want to start your own certification for your lift - go for it - but it's not the same thing we here all aspire to be able to do. Many of us have trained , and are still training for, this lift and have done so for years - bring yourself up to the lift, not the lift down to you. No disrespect intended but you are disrespecting the efforts of everyone who has ever worked long and hard and earned the right to say they can do this feat of strength.

The accepted feat of grip strength is to pinch 2 - 45# (or 20 kilo) steel plates smooth side out to a full dead lift height with one hand. This is not what you have done yet - and all the arguements about rims, lips, rubber and etc is not going to make it so. If you want to start your own certification for your lift - go for it - but it's not the same thing we here all aspire to be able to do. Many of us have trained , and are still training for, this lift and have done so for years - bring yourself up to the lift, not the lift down to you. No disrespect intended but you are disrespecting the efforts of everyone who has ever worked long and hard and earned the right to say they can do this feat of strength.

how am i disrespecting anyone? i dont understand that at all

i said nothing of the plates being metal, i just said i pinched 2 20kg plates, which is exactly what i did - i see nothing wrong with this

viper just put a video up of you pinching 2 20kg METAL PLATES. Then you own us all.

viper just put a video up of you pinching 2 20kg METAL PLATES. Then you own us all.

i have nothing to prove with this sam, i dont feel theres a need for me to even attempt it

like ive said, i will be using rubber plates - maybe ill do some with metal plates down the line, see how it goes

Part of the problem with your question is there is a HUGE variation in thickness, with w/o rims, etc of rubber bumpers. That's assuming your talking bumpers and not rubber coated, which also vary widely. Basically I don't have an answer for you LOL. It might be useful to use bumpers once and awhile, just for something different?

i have nothing to prove with this sam, i dont feel theres a need for me to even attempt it

like ive said, i will be using rubber plates - maybe ill do some with metal plates down the line, see how it goes

"No more wire hangers!"

Famous line from American Movie, "Mommie Dearest", 1981

Amercan film star Joan Crawford (played by Faye Dunaway) beating her young daughter in the middle of the night for having wire hangers in her closet

"No more rubber plates!"

Famous line from The Gripboard, 2006

Young grip athlete figuratively beaten for the outrageous act of pursuing rubber plates for pinching

All kidding aside, this is something best dropped.

"No more wire hangers!"

Famous line from American Movie, "Mommie Dearest", 1981

Amercan film star Joan Crawford (played by Faye Dunaway) beating her young daughter in the middle of the night for having wire hangers in her closet

"No more rubber plates!"

Famous line from The Gripboard, 2006

Young grip athlete figuratively beaten for the outrageous act of pursuing rubber plates for pinching

All kidding aside, this is something best dropped.

ive not been beat by anything, and will continue to use rubber plates (please read what ive said before asking why)

It isn't a excuse to say I don't feel like lifting 2 45s steel plate on it's smooth side. If you really can fully lift it I don't think you will hesitate to post the video. At least posting a video of you putting a little air under the steel 45s will be better than the rubber plates.

Viper there is no valid reason to not use metal plates. If your gym is so gay that it doesn't let you make noise with the plates leave that gym and join a proper one :cool .

Edited by CoC#3

It isn't a excuse to say I don't feel like lifting 2 45s steel plate on it's smooth side. If you really can fully lift it I don't think you will hesitate to post the video. At least posting a video of you putting a little air under the steel 45s will be better than the rubber plates.

i dont have / need an excuse for anything - i dont know if i can fully deadlift metal 45's, and right now i dont really care, i just want to train my pinch, which i will be using rubber plates for