What kind of cards?

strongmitts

I got some bicycle playing cards and these things are tough to rip.  They don't seem the same as other playing cards I have tried to rip.  I have been ripping sheets of newspaper folded in half six times to simulate a deck and making good gains.  I can rip 4 sheets of newspaper folded in half six times, but can't do anything with a deck of "bicycle" playing cards.  I read that if you could rip 4 sheets of newspaper folded then you should have no problem with a deck.  What's the deal?  are "bicycle" cards super tough?  strongmitts

I wonder how old is that article you read.  In the sixties, I could tear a deck easily, but then they started plastic-coating the cards and it got much, much harder.  Anybody who can rip a modern deck of cards has done something significant, IMHO.  I don't know if the plastic coatings are different from brand to brand, though.

Guest baldy

According to John Brookfield (MILO v1 n4, page 26) "Most cards are basically similar in strength so you can buy the cheapest cards you can find to practice with."

Roger Steffens is the resident card tearing Jedi here, check out his card tearing information here for pointers.

Also, I have yet to tear a full deck but I don't see how tearing newspaper could come even close to simulating cards.

Thanks guys.....Dave, I think you are probably right.  The article I read is a John McCallum article in MILO, which is probably a reprint from Strength Health from many many years ago.......Baldy, when you fold a sheet of newspaper in half six times it comes out roughly to the size of a deck of cards.  This probably isn't the best training method, but I am still trying to get my hands on several decks of cards so I can practice.  Thanks for the the link :D

You can go broke practicing tearing playing cards, but to train for it, tear a few cards and work your way up.  When you can tear the cards while they are still in the box - hey, you've got a great grip feat!!  :)

my roommate collects "magic" trading cards and after spring semester he left a couple hundred of his inferior cards with me. they are plastic coated and actually a little harder than real playing cards (48magic ~ 52 cards) with these i've worked up to and over most full decks i've tryed. you can probably get high quality playing cards (tearing wise) at a local card store for cheap.  just make sure you've had some experiance with the feel of real cards so that you get something comparable. also, dont tear any mickey mantle's!

Not that I, um, would ever play such games as Magic....but does your friend know you did that?  Some of us...them, pay a lot of money for good cards.  You might have a very pissed off friend on your hand.

After reading that article i was actually inspired to try and attempt this feat myself.  I first tried the whole deck, but was pretty soundly defeated; not much more than a bend.  Split the deck in half; still nothing.  Finally went to around 5 cards and got that, went to 6, also got that.  Jumped to 10, hurt like a bitch, didnt get it.  Final results are 8 cards, wow i need some grip work.

(Also that magic card thing was a joke, I did in the past play but when I realized the cost of that hobby I had to pick between it and weightlifting....the cards couldnt compete.)

Thanks baldy for the link, and Roger for the article.  With it, I mangaed a half deck in a lot less time with a lot more pain!  My tear started at the edge of my left hand, and as it tore it felt like part of my hand was tearing off.

FYI, The "Dollar Store" sells 2 poker-sized packs for a dollar.

Alan

Alan, thanks for the tip.  As a college student I frequent the family dollar and the dollar store.  I'll check for some cards next time.  strongmitts