Plate curls

apdwler

I was able to achive my year end goal of plate curling a 35 today! I actually got a double with both hands! So, now I need to move upward. My next goal is a 33 bumper. It's the same diameter as a 45. Then I have a 45 that actually weighs 40. Eventually of course is the 45! Enough B.S., on to my question.

Anyway, my question is about gripping the thumb on the plate. That seems to be a weakness for me. I lost the first few attemps, while lowering them, because of the thumb grip. I don't have any plates with a wide enough lip to really pinch it. It seemed to work best to use a narrow liped and hook my thumb over it. What are others doing?

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining

Guest sjeff70

Doesn't hooking your thumb in limit your range of motion?  I just simulated it and I'm unable to get the contraction.

Confused.     :(  :blush

My Weider kilo plates have anrrow lip, which is easy to hook your thumb over.  The plates that have been coming in from China have a wider lip and I can't hook them at all.  So, If I pick the plate up too fast or lower it too fast, I lose my grip whether I can curl it or not.  Two solutions:  I started doing holds for time with 45's to build up the narrow pinch grip required, and I alternate plates between alternate workouts to take advantage of each design.  Congrats on curling the 35!

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to work on the timed holds. I have on 35 with a thin lip. It is a lot easier to hold.  I was able to do the 33 bumper already!! It has a wide, very shallow lip. It is a lot more comfortable to curl.

Next goal...the odd ball 40!