Check Out This Steel Bending Video

Tim71

Thought you guys might find this video interesting. Year should be 1982.

Tim

Nice! There's that video again! I've been looking for it for months now.

Nice speed on Mr.Capes there! Look how Kaz is struggling :D hehe

Capes is on a dvd I have which shows the Europe's Strongest Man 1984 contest, and he impresses alot

Mats

A little background on the video.

In 1980 Kaz bent the 11/16 hot rolled steel completely and Capes got to like 14" or something. In 1981 they used Cold rolled steel for the 11/16 size (big mistake) and both men didn't get hardly anything in it. Both were injured but Kaz's injury was a torn pec that took over 100 lbs off his bench and I believe affected his bar-bending. In 1982 they used Hot rolled again (this video) and Kaz didn't do near as well and Capes did spectacular. I wished they both would have done it so they could have broke out the 3/4" steel which I've never seen done in WSM competition. Capes looked like he had more left too.

The fact that Capes bends they bar so much in one motion behind his neck is amazing. I've bent bars behind my neck and I have to offset the bar like Kaz is trying to do. That's how he did the 5/8" before this one shown. I couldn't get much power at all like Capes is doing it which tells me how good he is. After I tried it the other night I have a deep appreciation for his long bar bending skills.

I sooooo wish they bring this event back. I know alot were injured but just don't use the dang cold-rolled. That stuff is way too springy in the longer thicker stock.

Tim

Thanks for the info!

In Viking '83 they also used cold-rolled steelbars. Looked like a nightmare to bend. The first part went down ok, but the crush seemed pretty hopeless. And then there's the rule that won't allow you to remove the bar from the neck until it's fully bent.

The winner was swedish strongman Kalle Sjölin. He bent it pretty much like Capes.

Mats

Edited by Mats Erik