Kungfu grip

whitleyd

i'm sure there are lots of martial artists lurking here in gripland. does anyone have any unusal MA-related grip exercises?

for instance, in southern mantis we use lots of finger strikes. we do an exercise where we place a bar across the fore arms and slowly roll it out to the fingertips across the back of the hands, then hold it & roll it back. during the hold you can also bend the fingers one at a time,supporting the bar with 1 or 2 finers. Its great for the extensors.

Guest Christian

I find, for ju jitsu, crush and single finger are the most productive followed by wrist strength.

I am getting eagle loops and I am going to try chinups with them and maybe some deadlift lockouts.

I never fight in a Gi, but we usually train with them on one day a week, so I started doing some hanging from the lapel of one. Somebody mentioned it on this board and I did it a few times.  Just throw your Gi over a bar and hang from it.  It's kind of knarley on the fingers.  I'm sure it strengthens the fingers but it seemed to help me build a better pain tolerance when grabbing the Gi in practice.  

I do hub lifting in the from of a reverse curl for finger strength as well.  

Also I do pronate/supinate and each week I fatten the handle with more tape, so it gets closer to simulating a wrist.  It has helped me both twist out of someone grabbing my wrist and holding on to someone who is trying to twist out of my grip.

Otherwise I do most of the 'normal' things, Thick Handle curls, TH reverse curls, and TH DB curls, the COC's and some pinching just for fun. :crazy