What's The Toughest 60d Nails You've Bent?

Tim71

I have sort of a facination the the sheer numbers and huge variances in the 60d nails. What the toughest you guys have run into? I have two common 60d nails that are pretty tough. I just got a batch of the super-shiny nails (not galvanized) that are probably not to far from a grade 5.

I've got the keystone 60s that Eric calibrated at 315 so that give me a pretty good reference.

Tim

I buy 2 different brands at Home Depot. The shiny 60Ds are close to a Grade 5. Those are the hardest that I've found so far.

Handgripperman said "they are all over the place. Someof them are even as hard as a G8" if he said that it means someone bent one that was hard as a G8.

Hah, mine are just a tad easier than most grade 5's Jeff, I could be wrong.

Mine are pretty tough though, and it is a type I haven't seen anywhere else yet. They look a touch thicker than 1/4". I will be bummed when I run out.

Ben,

You know everybody always talks about home depot but when I was in St Louis a few months back I stopped at a home depot and they had no 60d nails other than timber ties. I really have to search to find some of the stuff you guys are bending.

Like 7" bolts. I can't find any 5/16 by 7" G5 bolts (not that I need them right now). When ever I can find something good I go ahead and buy it even though I may be nowhere near it now. I just bought some 3/8 by 7" 307a bolts after seeing your post about bending one. Looked cool by the way.

Bob, what did those 60d nails look like? Were they really shiny or galvanized?

Tim

Ben,

You know everybody always talks about home depot but when I was in St Louis a few months back I stopped at a home depot and they had no 60d nails other than timber ties. I really have to search to find some of the stuff you guys are bending.

Like 7" bolts. I can't find any 5/16 by 7" G5 bolts (not that I need them right now). When ever I can find something good I go ahead and buy it even though I may be nowhere near it now. I just bought some 3/8 by 7" 307a bolts after seeing your post about bending one. Looked cool by the way.

Bob, what did those 60d nails look like? Were they really shiny or galvanized?

Tim

Tim, I have the same problem as you. I can't find squat for selection at Home Depot, Menard's, or Lowe's. So, I just broke down and bought stuff from Ben. :tongue

I did find some galvanized 60Ds at Lowe's that are pretty tough, similar to the shiny ones from Home Depot.

Go to a hardware store that sells building supplies. You probably need to ask in the back opposed to just picking them up out of a bin. I think 60d's are usually sold to builders by the lb, often in large buckets.

I get my 60Ds from a local harware store called Frentz and Sons. They are as bit pricey because they are a small family owned hardware store that is only 2 miles from both a Home Depot and a Lowes. When I could finally bend those 60Ds, I could get a good kink in a 6"G5, but could not finish it off. They were great to bridge the gap to the G5.

i bought 60 d's but they were only 3/16 inch and i accidnely graed one that was 4/16 i finally bent that one tonight, let me tell u it was sooo much harder. how does the 4/16 i bent campare to the red nail

i bought 60 d's but they were only 3/16 inch and i accidnely graed one that was 4/16 i finally bent that one tonight, let me tell u it was sooo much harder. how does the 4/16 i bent campare to the red nail

Sounds like the 3/16" version was a timber tie. The other one, most of us just refer to it as a 1/4", is not even in the same universe as a Red Nail. I know that doesn't help you, but to find that reference go to the Calibration thread. It's a good one. You should read everything there. Then you might read it again just to help it sink in. Great info there.

I have been fortunate enough to try Terminator's tough 60Ds. They feel, to me, to be on par with a grade 8 - w/o the springiness. They are noticeably thicker than most 60Ds, and have a very sharp point. They are the toughest I have encountered.

Any Idea as to what brand those nails of Pat's are? Wouldn't mind getting some.

Tim

I found out the brand of one of my toughest 60d nails. It's not galvanized and it's by a company called mazel. Anybody else bend these and if so how do they compare to some others?

Tim

the ones i bend are hard, Im grading there difficulty by comparing padding. I took a good sized towel wrapped the nail. It was like 3 inchs think of padding. I had to put so much pressure to bend it that the nail went through the 1.5 inches of padding into my hand, making me bleed. I finished it off but none the less I see guys on youtube bending them with dish towels and the nails I have would go right through that thing. The ones im using are 1/4 inch galvanized 60D from Home depot

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Jeff on Bob Lipinski's nails. I was either having a bad day or they were harder then my grade 5s. At least the triangle ones anyway.

The toughest galvanized I've decided is the keystone with the cement like coating. Kinda messy to bend though.

I guess I should have named this thread, "what's the toughest 60d nails you've encountered".

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a 60d like the 7th nail in this picture? Got a clue how hard they are?

http://www.gripfaq.com/defimages/sized/sshortstockprog.jpg

I got 10 of them a year ago at the downtown Ace hardware in Claredon Hills, IL. I have no idea what type they are. All I know is they are definitely harder than a 6" piece of FBBC 1/4" round and I can't bend them yet. They are my goal 60d. That's FBBC 1/4" round on the left of the nail, 3/8" aluminum on the right.

That looks a lot like what Tim T sent me to calibrate. He calls it the "Mazel" brand, and thinks they may be pretty tough. As soon as I get some free time I'll be calibrating it.

Scott,

95% sure they're the mazel brand 60ds like Eric said. If you notice they're also a little longer then the 60d that's 2nd to the left. The mazel's are slightly longer. I have the 2nd one to the left also and it's not slouch as a matter of fact I think Eric got some of those to labeled southeast builders. Can you bend that one? I had the Mazels for quite a while before I was able to bend one and when I finally did I was really close to a grade 5. As a matter of fact if I'd had some easier grade 5 bolts, I probably would have got it the same night. Don't worry Scott, those nails felt impossible for me for so long, then I finally got one braced, then turned right around and did the next one Double overhand. I kinda thought they had a slight springy feel to them too. Not like a grade 5 but slight but maybe just me.

Glad to know you got the nails Eric. I'm very curious to see what some of them will bring in the numbers. I'm guessing the Mazels will top the 60d list at approximately 350. Hard to tell though since you never wrap 2 nails exactly the same and you never have the exact ammount of energy left. Takes a system like yours to say for sure. The drill rod will be very interesting too. Of course the crush on it is what's the monster.

Tim

Tim, I can bend the 2nd nail on the left, did 8 of them in my last DU workout. It is easier than a Grade 2 bolt. Looks a touch thinner than 1/4" to me.

Good to know about the 60d's. I'm going to focus on some other stock for awhile and come back to them. I was thinking they'd be right at the 6" 1/4" round level when I picked them as the goal nail.

That's not the same nail then that I have. Mine are the same thickness as the Mazel and are much tougher than any grade 2 I've bent. I'd like to find some easier ones like that to mess around with.

Tim

The Mazel 60D weighs in at 305 pounds. Stout, but there's plenty tougher out there.

Totally blows me away. Perceived toughness on that nail for me is higher. I wonder if the extra 3/8" length or so makes it feel different? Also, the nail that I have that I thought looked like the one (2nd to left) in the pic is the one that cal'd at 295 so really they weren't that far apart. And the ones I bend for fun hit 280. So the ones I've bent since the begining hit 280 and the one that had me stumped for a long time only hit 25 lbs more. I wonder if these numbers you sent me will help "de-mystify" some of these pieces I currently can't bend?

I would've lost money on some of those result. Very very interesting though.

Thanks Eric for all the hard work!

Tim