Grip training help

xazaralix

Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm a grip training newbie and have been lurking around here for a while. I'm in awe of what you guys can do. I know you guys can help me try to get better grip strength. I got the book Mastery of Hand Strength a couple of months ago. I have been following a routine from there for the last couple of months and my gains have pretty much stopped. I was wondering if you guys could help me with my routine. I'm no really sure how to change it up or do. This is the routine that I've been doing:

Monday: Pinch two plates together, after I can do it for 10 seconds, add weight.

Thursday: Plate curls 4x5

Saturday: Ivanko gripper 4x5

I'd like to keep training for strength. I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks, Azar.

I haven't had much success with reps on any grip stuff, so I'd drop that. I think holds with the Supergripper would work better & singles on the plate curls. The 'add weight @ 10 seconds' thing for pinches is a good idea. No reps though, & do everything more often. I don't think I'd make really good gains by training the lifts so rarely, crossover or not.  :)

Hey Nathan Say, thanks for replying. I just have a few questions about what you said. Should I do all three of those exercises on the same day? Should I add more exercises? How many times a week? Also, with the Supergripper, should I just do a hold on the highest setting I can for as long as I can? For the plate curls, should I warm up with singles, or just do the working weight? Is the order of the exercises important? Thanks for you help. Azar.

Should I do all three of those exercises on the same day?
I think so. Do the one you want to focus on & do it 1st. That's the old Weider Priority Principle that's been around since before he was born.
Should I add more exercises?

I don't think you need to, 3 is enough, but you could add one more for whatever you want to focus on. For example, if you want to crush, do the supergripper stuff 1st, then the rest, then another crush exercise. You've also got one lift for each kind of hand strength (cruch/pinch/wrist-forearm) which I think is plenty. I've been working on only 2 for thee last while (crush/plate curl) & I can still pinch 35s if I feel like it. I don't think you'd get a lot weaker in one exercise if you dropped it.

How many times a week?
In my case & that of many others, training every day works really well. I just curled a 45 (not with perfect form though) training every day for the last few months. Some days were light, where I was tired or I wasn't ready to go heavier, but then, there were only about 5-6 days like that (gotta check my logbook). If that's too much, train every other day. My hands were also sore/tired all the time. I think most would agree that training a lift once a week like you were isn't enough though.
Also, with the Supergripper, should I just do a hold on the highest setting I can for as long as I can?

I'd suggest doing multiple 10-second holds (3-5) at the highest setting you can for ALMOST as long as you can. Leave a bit in the tank for the next one. Once the 10 seconds is pretty easy on each one, add some more holds or have it on a harder setting.

For the plate curls, should I warm up with singles, or just do the working weight?
I do some light plate curls first but I don't waste any time. A couple singles with a light weight, rest a bit, 1 or 2 with a heavier one, then right into the working weight.
Is the order of the exercises important?

Yup, first do the one you want to do best in, or the one you're focussing on.

:)

My advice:  get the grippers.  They'll help you a lot!!

What are your grip goals??  Some other things about yourself would help too.  BTW... Welcome to the GripBoard!!  :)