Transition From Coc #2 To #3?

Brad Manion

For some of the certified Captains of Crush out there:

About how many reps were you able to do on a #2 before you were able to fully close the #3? The reason I ask is that I've had a sudden resurgence in crushing strength the last few weeks after a long layoff from any crush work. I was really hit or miss on my #2 as far as getting a full rep, then I borrowed a friend's #2 last week and did 3 full reps in a set. I beat that yesterday with his #2, getting 4 full reps on a set. I was surprised as hell, but not as much as my training partners --- guys who know how tough this stuff is --- or the regular gym patrons who just had to try the grippers out after seeing my partners and I doing them. Later on, as a comparison, I tried my #2 and was able to do consistently get 2 full reps.

BTW, this was all done with my right hand. My left is way behind for some reason, but I was able to do full singles with my friend's #2, but not mine. Though I might be wrong here, because I can't confirm it visually, I think it is partially due to how I can position the gripper on my thumb pad in either hand. The right hand just feels right, more secure, and it is like that instantly. The left hand takes awhile to get set, which wastes a little energy, and well, you know the rest. I say the thumb pads are different because I really notice it when I bend tough steel, like the 1/4" x 6" G8 bolts. Especially when I miss, it is the left thumb-pad/palm that hurts like absolute hell and thus, cannot apply full force to the steel in the DO style I use to bend.

Also, how many of you utilize plate-loaded grip machines like in Joe Kinney's section of the Captains of Crush book? What are your opinions on usage? I just had one made for me and have another on the way for my club.

Thanks for the help. I realize this is a lot to read and I appreciate any advice.

Brad

Brad,

The "how many reps" question has been coming up a lot lately and it's not a very useful conversation in my opinion. Look at some of the posts in this recent thread.

Plate-loaded grip machines are great for negatives and overloads (i.e. cheat it shut with two hands, then let go and fight like hell with one). Some people swear by them. I think it's definitely a useful tool to supplement gripper training. The fact that it's plate-loaded is a huge bonus because you can make your own steps up in weight. This is especially useful going from the CoC2 to the 3 because the gap is so much bigger than going from the CoC1 to the 2. You were smart to get one.

Do like Kinney says and make your own progress. Don't worry about "how many reps" because it will be different for you anyway. Go to war on the 3 and close it. Then tell us how many times you can rep the CoC2. Just my opinions!