Coc guestion .

Guest tomykelly

Guest tomykelly

I bought the COC's 1,2 and 3 .I bought two No.1's and one 2 and one 3 .The 1's close different one of them is not as hard to close as the other .Is this common ? Thanks .

The Ironmind grippers are not precisely calibrated. They are of different spring tensions. It is normal that two grippers of the same # differ in spring tension. Usually, the difference between two same # grippers is not big. However, some board members have 430 + in/lbs #3 while some others #3 are way below 400.

Search the board for the calibration thread. You'll find calibration results for board members grippers.

For precise spring tension, check out PDA SOS grippers.

If you look at the results of the testing of various grippers at this link:

http://www.grippage.com/cgibin....=1;t=58

You will find that Wanagrip owns a COC #1 that take 195 in-lbs. of pressure to close and that AnimalCage owns another COC # 1 that takes 254 in-lbs. of pressure to close. Quite a big difference!

So,to answer your question: Yes, this is common.

Train smart!

IronMind states in it's catalog that the only grippers that are manufactured with tight tolerances are the #3 and the #4 - why?.... because they are the "benchmark" grippers.  

Now we are finding out that that's not the case.  The springs you use to make your grippers on Tuesday will be VERY different than the ones you use to make your grippers on Friday.

If you really need precision (and who doesn't?), then check out PDA's SOS grippers.  Then you'll know what your really crushing.  If you have grippers already, PDA will calibrate them for you - this is what I'm doing for my grippers.