Plate loaded grip machine

corbon

I am planning to purchase a plated loaded grip machine.  I wish I could afford a Grex or Gripinator, but I can't.  My question is "How beneficial towards increasing my grip strength are the basic ones?"  I'm referring to the <$100.00 grip machines?  Will it increase my crushing grip strength?  I don't intend to close a COC gripper.  Thanks.

I'm sure any crushing grip training, on any machine no matter what the cost, will in some way aid your strength. May I ask why you wish to use the machine if not to close a gripper? (or do you mean a COC certifiable #3 gripper?) It may help to tailor any training advice that might be offered...

I think you should take in to consideration the load capability of a plategripper. Most of the under $100 ones I have seen has about 150lb. load limit. You will be able to reach that weight in no time using 2 hand movement. However, that would be more than sufficient for 1 hand grip work.

So if you plan to use big weights 2 handed, you have to get the larger and more costly model. Why not have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I believe Weightlifter's Warehouse is having a sale on plateloaders. At least they were

What does somebody usually have to squeeze on a machine with one hand to close a #3? Is 150 or something world class? Is that why they don't go higher?

I know that using some of the old direct plate-loaded grippers some people managed to get up to over 300lbs one-handed (from an old Ironman article, around 1992??), but apparently the movement was degenerating into a one-arm shrug.

The hand grip machine sold by New York Barbells only goes to 150 pounds (six 25 pound standard weight plates).  That's because of the width of the machine and the height of it.  This is one reason I got the G-Rex:  I had to move on - 150 pounds wasn't sexy enough for me.  The NYB hand grip is perfect for a beginner starting grip training.  Check out the link:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

Weightlifter's Warehouse also has a grip machine made for standard 50's and Olympic 45's.  I think those will hold over 150lbs.

www.wwfitness.com

Anybody know where you can get a plate loaded gripping machine like Kinney's? Or one the holds a lot of weight.

Guest sjeff70

I don't have a plate loading grip machine but it would seem to me that you could put a 2-3 foot board down over the loading pin (drill a hole for the loading pin), and use it as a base; and then you can load as many plates on there as you want (load the plates so they line up on the outside of the machine).  

If you do them one-handed you can use your free hand to balance.  Or you could make the board balance rigidly by putting support blocks underneath the board, next to the base and as deep as the base to keep the board tight and balanced.  Heck you could even attach the supports to the base of the machine.  

I thought Mastery of Hand Strength had an idea for this.

You can contact Joe Kinney about his machine.  I don't recommend it for beginners, and it's VERY painful to use.  :(