A lot of pain...

Guest Claemore70

Guest Claemore70

I have not posted in quite a while since I boasted that I would be closing the #3 by December...  So, I'm mildly retarded. :blush   Anyway, I got REAL close a couple of weeks ago, less than a 1/4".  Feeling saucy, I armwrestled my brother.  A little info about my brother.  He is training for strongman comps.  Is very strong.  He broke a guy's arm in an armwrestling bout a few years ago.  Well, I have been researching armwrestling since we are going to have a competition soon, and have learned a few tricks like the "top roll".  A good friend told me not to do it since it @$#&*'s  up your arm, but I was feeling my oats, and thinking I was beyond mortal cares at this point.  Well, I was sorely mistaken.  The first time, he won.  The second time, I won.  Kind of...  About a day later, I was in agony.  This has been about a month, and I have not been able to workout since.  If I work it, it reminds me, and I am stuffing Tylenol 3s, and am applying pain pads.  It hurts in the upper forearm, and lower bicep area, but it will extend into the shoulder and back, and fingertips when it really hurts.  What have I done?  I am kind of scared.  What can I do to alleviate this problem?  I appreciate y'all's help, and am sorry about not posting more. ???

Guest 115-1005574997

And some people think armwrestlers aren’t tough!  ;)

severe tendonitis, muscle tear that’s slowly healing, maybe ligamentitis.  Your arms werent conditioned to an all out 'wrestle' (but from what Dave and Jim tell me they never are!) but if its still bad after a month of anti-inflammatory’s, heat (try stretching and massage) then go see a physiotherapist and they can administer a professional diagnosis, ultrasound and galvanic treatment.

Thinking of taking up arm wrestling seriously?

Guest JoeQ1966

I did some professional armwrestling myself and I can understand your pain,,By using a top roll technique you put alot of stress on the tendon in the upper forearms..I have even heard of stress fractures in the bones in those areas..Arm wrestling is about tendon strength..sports illustrated did a story on Dave patton who was a world champion then.He talks of armwrestling as being a theatre of pain and I can believe that..I have has enough of it myself from the sport.I would suggest alot of ibuprofen and ice to get rid of the inflamation and then use heat and deep tissue massage..Tendons take a long time to heal..It took me a year after the last tournament I was in to be able to do hammer curls with any weight.I loved to armwrestle but its a harsh sport with hardly any rewards.

good luck

The WORST muscle pain I EVER had including ripped muscles and detached biceps was the 5 weeks of pain from an armwrestling match....NOTHING helped much except a deep muscle massage therapist's work and anti inflamitory pills. As much as I admire and stand in awe of arm wrestling I will never do that again!( It was like a "to the death match" that cost me 700.00 to boot!)

Guest Claemore70

Thanks for the replies.  I don't think I am going to be armwrestling again.  It has really screwed up my regular grip training.  I hate not being able to train!  On top of everything else, I have not been able to rest due to us moving.  Oh well.  I'll get better.  Thanks y'all.

Didn't Brookfield say about armwrestling that it's more of a technique than strength (although strength DOES have a large part to play in it).  I armwrestle my 11 year old niece; it's a lot of fun and I always seem to win!!  :p