Sand Bag Training

afwolf33

Has anybody purchased hte sand bag from ironmind? If so, what results have you gotten?

Sandbag training is great man. We never got an IronMind one - we made one ourselves - but you get a great core and posterior chain engagement, plus the grip aspect. Also, it is much harder to press a 200 pound sandbag than a 200 pound bar.

I think you will enjoy it ifyou are looking for a challenge.

-Jedd-

I have sandbag from IronMind and I think it's great. As Jedd said, training with sandbag is great for core strength etc.

Once you try sandbag training you are convinced that it's a very beneficial.

the sandbag from ironmind is ridiculously expensive, you can purchase 3 navy duffel bags from an army-navy surplus store for the price of one ironmind bag, though you might want to get 6 bags if you're going to make 3 sandbags simply because they might break after a long time, I've had my bags for like 4 months and my 120 now just broke, so I'm going back to get new ones lol!

but really the navy canvas stitch bags are top notch and I higly suggest them!

the sandbag from ironmind is ridiculously expensive, you can purchase 3 navy duffel bags from an army-navy surplus store for the price of one ironmind bag, though you might want to get 6 bags if you're going to make 3 sandbags simply because they might break after a long time, I've had my bags for like 4 months and my 120 now just broke, so I'm going back to get new ones lol!

but really the navy canvas stitch bags are top notch and I higly suggest them!

Good point and I know those bags you refer to are good, but I honestly doubt my IM sandbag will never break as long as I can avoid dropping it on anything sharp. That material will start to tear if that happens. I've had it for almost two years now. Well worth the money IMO especially if you live in USA so you don't have to pay much for the postage and nothing for customs.

Well $1.5 per bag from Ironmind versus the same type of bag for 35 cents per bag from Mcmaster.com. You do the math.

Well $1.5 per bag from Ironmind versus the same type of bag for 35 cents per bag from Mcmaster.com. You do the math.

If the Mcmaster sandbags are similar in terms of how they endure, then, my bad. :cool

I've been doing a pretty fair bit of sandbag training lately. I am using the ironmind bags. For me, it has been nice. I can't train in my apartment so I go down to the park several times a week. I take the outer bag and several smaller bags so I can adjust the weight of the overall bag. I may only be able to do my longest bearhug walk with 100lbs but I may want to work on cleaning 200lbs. No problem, I chuck in a pair of extra bags in between. The sandbag seems to start to get stressed at about 200lbs. I haven't get gone for 250 but I suspect that I will have to use more packed bags than I currently am and that may change the nature of the training overall.

Most people that I have read about using the duffle bags are using fixed weight bags. I don't have the space to have four or five bags 100lb - 250lb laying in the back of my car. You don't have to use the duffel that way, you could keep it flexible like I am doing right now. I could be wrong but I think military duffles are a little smaller, volume wise than the Ironmind bag, so the bag may tighten and become inflexible at 175 or 200lbs instead of 250.

I have considered the military duffle. You have to admit they are dirt cheap. I suspect with all they can take more drops and more damage than the Ironmind bag can. The metal lock on most of them would be a mixed blessing, it would be nice to have the added security but if you did it wrong, you could take pieces out of yourself easily.

If you want an easy, all in one package, buy the Ironmind bags. If you want the cheapest and probably most durable route, got with the military bags and buy regular sandbags at Lowes, McMaster Carr or wherever.

No matter what you buy from the tenets of sandbag training remain. Keep the sand loose so it can move on you. Secure your bag very well when it is full. Use liner bags. If you use flexible, loadable bags like me, that means large ziplocks or small trash bags in each laodable, inner bag. If you use one large, fixed weight bag, use several heavy duty trash bags, preferably going opposite directions inside your bag.

good luck and happy training.

I made my own with sand (From Lowe's), some big black trash bags, and some feed bags from Seminole Feed store. I can only go up to 100lbs for right now, but I found at my new job a bunch of bags for carruing sand. So I figure I can make several 20-30 pound bags and throw them in one feed bag. Just add duct tape and you're good to go. Sandbags make for an amazing workout. I add those in with my keg clean/press and sled drag and you get pretty blown up in a short time.

I've been doing a pretty fair bit of sandbag training lately. I am using the ironmind bags. For me, it has been nice. I can't train in my apartment so I go down to the park several times a week. I take the outer bag and several smaller bags so I can adjust the weight of the overall bag. I may only be able to do my longest bearhug walk with 100lbs but I may want to work on cleaning 200lbs. No problem, I chuck in a pair of extra bags in between. The sandbag seems to start to get stressed at about 200lbs. I haven't get gone for 250 but I suspect that I will have to use more packed bags than I currently am and that may change the nature of the training overall.

Most people that I have read about using the duffle bags are using fixed weight bags. I don't have the space to have four or five bags 100lb - 250lb laying in the back of my car. You don't have to use the duffel that way, you could keep it flexible like I am doing right now. I could be wrong but I think military duffles are a little smaller, volume wise than the Ironmind bag, so the bag may tighten and become inflexible at 175 or 200lbs instead of 250.

I have considered the military duffle. You have to admit they are dirt cheap. I suspect with all they can take more drops and more damage than the Ironmind bag can. The metal lock on most of them would be a mixed blessing, it would be nice to have the added security but if you did it wrong, you could take pieces out of yourself easily.

If you want an easy, all in one package, buy the Ironmind bags. If you want the cheapest and probably most durable route, got with the military bags and buy regular sandbags at Lowes, McMaster Carr or wherever.

No matter what you buy from the tenets of sandbag training remain. Keep the sand loose so it can move on you. Secure your bag very well when it is full. Use liner bags. If you use flexible, loadable bags like me, that means large ziplocks or small trash bags in each laodable, inner bag. If you use one large, fixed weight bag, use several heavy duty trash bags, preferably going opposite directions inside your bag.

good luck and happy training.

that's what I was thinking of doing with the trash bags inside the duffel bags, I'm definetly gonna try that with my next batch of bags, I got a keg on the way, all I need is a sled and I should be good for a full blown strongman workout!

all I need is a sled

Get a tire for free at a service station, they have to pay to dispose of the tires they take off cars. They will charge the car owner for this service. If you ask for an extra tire or two, they are only too happy to pocket the fee. I used the largest eye bolt I could get at Lowe's (btw, if you bought a steel belted tire, you may waste a drill bit here, fair warning). You can screw a square piece of wood into one side of the tire to make surface for added weight. I used some rope and a carabineer and and am all set.

Credit goes to Creason for introducing me to the tire. Probably not his original idea but he shared with me and now I am sharing with you.

Tips from my personal experience:

1) a thinner tire is better than a thick one. As you add weight, the surface of the tire may buckle and make the platform unstable and uneven.

2) tires are not exactly like steel. First, they work on pavement as well as grass, experiment with both for different feels.

3) another way tires are a bit different than steel is that the surface of the tire can generate a lot of friction where steel is smooth. This means the tire does not "break" the friction once it's moving. What starts easy very hard at 100 yards.

4) because of the friction, a tire is prone to bouncing it higher speeds. If you are jsut beginning to weigh your tire down, you may wan some bungee cords or something to secure your weight

5) knot a loop in both ends, secure each loop and the middle (no knot) to the eyebolt with the bineer. This allows the rope some freedom of movement espcially as you turn corners.

6) I choose to cross the ropes across my chest (forming an X) rather than wear it like the straps of a backpack, it puts more pressure across my chest but less on my shoulders (where the rope rubs a bit). I have also experimented with using and LBE (military belt and suspenders) with mixed results.

I used this bag for the outer bag.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/usmadusnhwse.html

I wonder if they ship international orders, couldn't find the info on that. I e-mailed them about it so I will know soon. That bag looks good to me. I've been considering making a few fixed weight bags.

Another way to make a sled is to get a loading pallet, ya know, the wooden flat things that businesses set boxes and whatnot on. Get that and attach a long chain, boom, strongman sled. I use mine in the grass (big yard) and it doesn't hasn't torn it up yet.