Calibration Question

dansweeney

I was wondering if anyone was having the same problem that I am with 1/4" Grade 5's. I have seen Erics calibration of 375, 385(Triangle), and 405(JH). I can't even kink one, but I can bend a 5.5" Blue which is supposed to be 365? I know people always talk about varying in Grade 2's, but I thought Grade 5's were supposed to be pretty consistent.

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if anyone was having the same problem that I am with 1/4" Grade 5's. I have seen Erics calibration of 375, 385(Triangle), and 405(JH). I can't even kink one, but I can bend a 5.5" Blue which is supposed to be 365? I know people always talk about varying in Grade 2's, but I thought Grade 5's were supposed to be pretty consistent.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Dan, keep banging away at it and it will fall. Didn't you get some of the prekinked Grade 5s from me in your Kit? You might try hitting those and getting the feel for the force needed to even move them from an already kinked position. The force difference is substantially higher than even a 5.5" Blue Nail in my opinion. You're doing really well though. Just keep attempting them (Grade 5) here and there and one day soon they will fall. Or e-mail me again and we'll get it figured out a bit quicker.

You've probably heard it before but it's almost impossible to compare different lengths of stock to each other. Eric has put that disclaimer in his calibration threads. So comparing a 5.5" Blue Nail to a 5.5" Grade would probably be closer in reality than the length difference.

The Grade 5s are just so tough to get moving. But you'll get the feeling for them with enough bending and form work under your belt. Don't lose motivation though.

I think I was around the 5" Blue Nail mark when a 6" Grade 5 finally bit the dust for me if that helps any.

Ben, thanks for the tips! I think those tough 60D's in your bending kit gotta be really close to a Grade 5! I kinked one to about 15°, but hit it several times with no more luck! I did a "finish" on a hard 60D, and I know that will help with the pesky Grade 5. To any DU benders out there, is a 6" 1/4 Grade 5 a fair bend?

Ben, thanks for the tips! I think those tough 60D's in your bending kit gotta be really close to a Grade 5! I kinked one to about 15°, but hit it several times with no more luck! I did a "finish" on a hard 60D, and I know that will help with the pesky Grade 5. To any DU benders out there, is a 6" 1/4 Grade 5 a fair bend?

Yeah, the tough 60Ds are very close to a Triangle Grade 5.

I still bend occasionally DU and a Grade 5 bend is more than a fair DU bend in my book. It's at least good. A Grade 8 is very good I'd say. And Red+ is exceptional.

Man, I'm right there too. I can get a blue down to 5.25" and got a 5" blue to 90 degrees. The metal is just too small for me to do anything with it. Oh well, but I've been hitting G5s for the last month and a half and still can only get a minimal kink. Even my 60ds don't move too much, but still more than my G5s. But just keep working cause this is how I felt when I first got to a yellow nail. Eventually it will fall and you'll be on G8s in no time...or atleast I hope that's how it works for me.