Need help...forearm pain....

Guest combative_sciences

Guest combative_sciences

Hello everyone,

I was very glad to find a forum on grip training/strength. I am a combat instructor and believe that grip strength is probably the most functional aspect any one can have.

Now here is my new delemma....I have been doing very heavy barbell curls as of late and my max weight jumped 15pds in three weeks....and with that I have pains down the bottom of my forearm whenever I curl.....I tried to use an cambered bar instead but I still feel the pain and immense pressure in my forearm. But it doesn't hurt when I do my forearm workouts.

It feels just like shin splints but it is in my forearms...

Any suggestions to remedy the situation....

James

Institute of Martial Arts and Combative Sciences

I had the same problem once when I was goin gcrazy trying to add a bunch of weight to my curl.  I had to drop curls for a couple weeks.  Also, I did a bunch of reverse wrist curls, and some regualr reverse curls, as well as hammer curls to try to strengthen the muscles on top of my forearm to balance things out.

Since then, I've done a lot more work with the wrist roller.  I've found that when I use the wrist roller regularly, I never have any problems anywhere in my hands or forearms.  I think it has something to do with balanced development of all the muscles, but I'm no doctor.

Also, you might want to try more work for your triceps, again, to "balance things out."

James I believe you need to work your upper/lower arm extendors just as hard. However you need to stretch your biceps and supinators before your w/o also between sets. stretch your wrist extendors every chance you get hold each for min 30 sec. hope this helps :)

Guest combative_sciences

Thanks guys:)

I will revamp my workouts accordingly to try what you have suggested...

My brother has the same problem and I will have him do the same thing.

James

I'm curious as well.  Where are you located?  I'm also a student of combat arts.  I fight in mixed events and stumbled in here because of wanting a better grip for grappling.  

By the way you are right about grip strength being functional.  Since starting serious grip training about 6 weeks ago my ground fighting has picked up dramatically and I'm really not that strong with it yet (I'm still on the trainer).  I train a little different than some of the guys here since my goals right now are a little different than theirs but I was suprised at the improvement from what little time I've been at it.   :crazy

Guest combative_sciences

Hey guys,

Combative Sciences is a term I coined about a year and a half ago......It comprises of every aspect of combat...

-hand to hand

-combat knife,stick, gun,kitchen sink,car....lol

-weaponry vs hand

-weaponry vs weaponry

-ballistic ground combat, with and without weapons.

-psychological intervention/warfare

and many other things.

I am located in Utah and I teach privately at the moment. I have taught various swat teams and military personel around the country. I love to teach and to learn from others.

James

i only use dumnbells now when i curl. straight bar and ez bar curls hurt too much (injury hurt) so i gave them up. reverse curls didn't help me and my triceps have always been stronger than my biceps so that wasn't it. i've been using dumbells now for about 3 years and have never had better results.