I don't really know what to call this

Nathan Say

Instead of having IM #3, why not have a bunch of 'clubs' like there usually is with bench press at certain gyms. Just like a 700, 800, 900 & 1000lb squat club, why not for grippers, have 450ip, 500ip, 550ip, 600ip clubs. If it was like that it would remove any variation between grippers. People say that #3s can be between 350ip & 500-something (for the old ones). Is that a good idea or what?

It's a bad idea....

with that small of jumps.

I think the 300-400-500 levels might make sense.

I think passing grippers around with proper witnessing and pictures makes more sense.

If a gripper gets passed around and only say for example David Horne can close it under proper conditions, then he's No. 1. It's as simple as that until someone else closes that gripper.  We could almost "create a set" of grippers and have them at competitions. Certification is performed right then and there.

Wannagrip, you Rogue!

How dare you suggest that certification can be

distributed by mere untrained onlookers.

There are those who have undergone undergraduate

courses in scrutiny to qualify to judge the closing

of a #3. Do you think that just anyone can tell

when two handles of a gripper touch each other?

Unless a full and annotated retraction arrives here

forthwith, I shall apeal to the Austin Powers that be

to rescind your Captain of Crush certification.

Guest StrongerthanArne

That is exactly what we do at the quarterly Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge. We are currently using six grippers (ranging from a IM #2 to a PDA 437 ip) but are going to add another two for the next comp (we are getting stronger after all, especially Mr Joakim Palmqvist). We are trying to achieve relatively small but yet distinct jumps in difficulty. We are aiming at a 1:2 rep ratio, meaning that if you can barely manage two reps with one particular gripper you should be able to do just barely one with the next one higher up in difficulty. Anyone interested (this would be of some interest for other organizers of competitions) in comparing their gripper to ours can always send it over so it can be determined where it stands in relation to ours.

Can another COC be duly noteworthy as to fully offciate another person into becoming a Captains Of Crush??  ???

And where is the IGC in all of this?  Tom, are ya out there?  ???

Yes, I'm here, but still unpacking from my recent move.  Without calibrated grippers I see the only way to make the levels is how Wannagrip suggests, or the set of grippers as in the Grip Challenge.  I see one problem with both these ideas.  While we know how the grippers relate to each other we wouldn't know the closing force of the grippers.  At a competition we would only know the relative ranking of those present.  It seems too me that it would be easy to make more than one set of grippers for different areas, but how would we compare one set to another? Maybe send the sets around?