whats the difference

Guest JoeQ1966

Guest JoeQ1966

As usual im at work and we are seeing who can close the #2 coc and I can just close it.A guy is about a inch from closing it and he believes our crushing grip is very close because we are within a inch of each other.Are there any calculations that can be used to tell how many extra pounds of pressure it takes to close it say the last inch or the last half a inch and so on.Im having trouble explaining that its the last inch and closer that creates the havoc.

thanks         Joe

Refer your friend to a Calculus text book or a Physics text book for an explanation of Hooke's Law. Hooke's Law is valid for shallow displacement in a spring. It is NOT valid for the entire range in a torsion spring hand gripper.

At 1 inch on a gripper, especially on the #3 or #4, you still have a couple of years in front of you  before you can close the thing. If you close the #2, you have a strong crushing grip. If your friend gets it to 1 inch, he's not even close to your strength level.

Tou..... I somewhat agree with you.  That last inch on the #3 can take a long time or simply a matter of months; everyone has a different strength level - also throw in the fact that #3 grippers vary widely.  If you have two guys of similiar strength grip wise training at roughly the same manner the same style... one of them has a 410 IP #3, and the other has a 360 IP #3.  Who will close their gripper in less time??

It took me a long time (two years) to finally do it.  For most guys, probably less.

I suspect that it's not worth it to argue with him.  Maybe shake his hard as hard as you can that will convince him :) , but keep in mind that if his hands are bigger than yours that might make up for the lack of strength on his part.  Also, 1" away on the #2 is a very weak hand, I think he might not be able to close the Trainer.  Maybe a rep competition on the trainer will convince him.  You probably could do 25 or so, and he might only get 1 or 2.  The reps might be an easier concept for him to grasp.

If you have two guys of similiar strength grip wise training at roughly the same manner the same style... one of them has a 410 IP #3, and the other has a 360 IP #3.  Who will close their gripper in less time??

Since those #'s really mean jack, who knows.......

Guest JoeQ1966

thanks guys for the info on this..ON your response Heath you talk about the numbers not meaning jack..I dont understand the number things quite yet..Could you explain it if possible.

thanks        Joe

Sometimes the numbers do not add up to reality. I have an SOS gripper measured at around 320/480 (parallel/closing), and while it is definitely harder than my #3, it is not even in the same league as my 318/558 #4. Though the parallel closing torques are roughly the same, my SOS feels soft and easy up to a half inch away from closing, whereas I have trouble getting my hands around my #4 because it is so tough and getting it to within an inch of closing is very hard.

Since those numbers really "don't mean jack", then let's chuck all the nonsense about what number gripper is what!!  ???

YOU DO need a point of reference sometime somewhere.  I have grippers that you could swear up and down that are equally as tough, but the IP numbers disagree.  So what do you do??  A "soft" #3 will get someone certified faster than a "hard" #3.  And yes.... we have been down this road before.

I agree with the soft #3 statement.  

As for the rest of the post; what?  

It is late, maybe I just missed something......

Nah, forget it Bearcat....

Just something you and I can discuss at the AOBS.  :)

ok