hand size

Guest JoeQ1966

Guest JoeQ1966

I was at work the other day and some guys I work with and I were seeing who could crush my ivanko gripper.the topic of hand size came up.I used to armwrestle and hand size did come into play in this sport.It wasnt everything but it did make a difference.Do you believe that it makes any difference in crushing the captains of crush.

thanks         Joe

Hand size is not a significant factor for gripper crushing near the close. However, hand size and pinky finger length dictates the initial gripper position before applying the crush. Those with small hands will need a strong pinch for setting the gripper.

I struggled for years with an IronMind Trainer I bought in the early 90's, finally broke down and bought an IM #1 last year.  I closed it out of the box and am up to 4 reps, RH, without really concentrating on it.  Turns out, the handles are 3/8 inch closer together than on the Trainer.  My hands are 7" from wrist to fingertip, so yes, I think hand size matters.

As a person with smallish hands I would say that yes, it does matter. If the handles are too wide for your hand you have to close it differently to how you want to. It's hard to change the placement of the gripper once you start, so if you start uncomfortably you end uncomfortably. This doesn't make much of a difference with the easier grippers but with the harder one's it's hard to give a 100% performance if you can't hold the gripper properly.

Guest sjeff70

I wasn't aware you could pinch the beginning of a gripper with your other hand to get it started!  Will this disqualify someone trying to get certified?  I have Kinney's video but he started so quickly, I failed to pay attention.

I measure 8" (7 15/16") from wrist to finger tip but my pinky still does not wrap over and assist in the initial part of the close.  Unless I could help it by pinching it a little with my free hand!  If this is true, I may be able to advance quicker than I thought.  If I'm allowed to get a hold with my pinky finger these grippers are a whole new ball game.

Somebody please respond!

I'd have to say hand size helps (leverage). If your hands are big enough to get the pinky and the thumb to help on the close than that helps. You will also be able to get a better grip with the other fingers. Also, you will be able to set the gripper closer to the first joint of the fingers the bigger your hand is. This leverage advantage would make it easier to close.

Hand size is a major big deal for pinching and wide pinching especially. Also, the bigger the hands for the wider grippers the better.

Guest 99-1021952208

I've found hand size to be a fairly difficult barrier to overcome. My hands are on the medium/small size (6inch wrist to pinkie) for my height and the last 10 degree's or so of the COC gripper close is tremendously more difficult. I am able to close #2 gripper fairly reliably now but reach the 10 degree point now with the #3 gripper and can't seem to be able to apply full pressure. Strange thing is I can bring the #4 gripper to the same point as the 3 without too much more trouble, how to overcome this hill I wonder. My friend can close the 3 barely but is unable to make any real movement on the #4 with his larger hands.