Any Tips For A Youngster?

younggripper

Basically, I'm 16 and wondering if theres anything to be concerned about if i start trying to build up some grip strength. I started working out recently and I'm in so-so shape now, and yes i did look through the faqs but i was just wondering if there was anything that particulary pertains to doing these exercises at a younger age. I've mastered my cheap plastic-handled grippers and am looking to make a decision on a new gripper. Thanks a tonne :)

welcome to the Board.im no expert but start slow.i Dont know the physiological effects stressing the ligaments and tendons are at your age.probably consult a doctor.members on this board may have a better idea on the effects if any.to start though get a COC T and a #1 am see how that feels.just go slow and easy like any workout.

Young gripper, I wish I had started when I was your age. I agree with the advice to start off slowly, don't try to do too much too quickly. You'll read about some of the amazing feats of strength from many of the members of this board.....and it will make you totally amped up to dive head first into training!! I would say that it's alright to have a long term goal to achieve, such as the #3, the blob, or other feats, but first, I recommend developing a good, general, overall base of fitness and strength with a solid, consistent program of moderate weight training and conditioning.

Then, once you've built up a decent level of strength and "tendon toughness", then, begin to increase and/or specialize on a grip goal you have. Again, don't try to do too much too soon.....doing that could lead to injury. At your age, your tendons don't need to be stressed too much just yet.

Perhaps you could begin by working with the trainer or #1 gripper. Additionally, after your workout, you may want to grab a couple of 10 pound plates, smooth sides out, grip them together with one hand and try to lift them. It's a start.

Anyway, that my advice. I wish you the best and I encourage you to read, learn, and be discerning with all the information out there.

What heatwave said!

I'll be repeating the already sound advice spoken, but here goes: Start with a couple of grippers COC T & COC 1 are good (and what I started with); however, Beef Builders are great grippers with more options of strengths to choose from. Have a goal gripper and buy one above (for negatives and forced closes) and one below (to get the feel for the close, for overcrushes, and for confidence reasons). These little devils are highly addictive so limit playing with them except during your workout. The KTA program has given tremendous results; however, the high volume might be an issue for a youngster. Remember tendons build much slower than muscles and you are running a marathon not a sprint. The worst thing you could do is overtrain and injury yourself. Be realistic with your goals and start an overall workout routine with added emphasis on wrist strength and grip. Levering, Thick-Bar work, Pinch gripping, bar bending, and Plate curls are a great way to incorporate other wrist/grip nuances into your training; however, focus on one aspect and incorporate a modest amount of work in other areas. Crushing grip is a good way to start and fun with your buddies. Important concepts to understand also include: Hand Health = Grip Strength and Block Weights = Wrist/Grip strength. Pick up a Brookfield book, use your enthusiasm to your advantage, but work intelligently and diligently as this will help you break through barriers. Your youth is a tremendous advantage so don't let cerebral flatulence (Brain Farts)slow your progress. Listen to those with experience, but realize, the basic principles work but every individuals body responds differently to different training strategies. If a routine isn't giving you results after 6 weeks or so then do not be afraid to switch it up. Stay focused, learn from the certified guys, filter out the BS and find a training partner or fellow grip enthusiast to work with (it'll help while eveyone else looks at you like you lost your marbles). There is nothing like handing a gripper to a big guy in the gym, school, etc. and watching him flop after you just gave the same gripper a good grind.

Welcome Aboard Laddy

DO NOT overtrain when you first start! I did that and it put me out for quite a while. Just take it slow and easy and remember to work your extensors!!! You might think you are taking it easy when you're not....doing negatives on the #2 every day is not starting slow.

Also take all this advice seriously...I read all this good advice a while ago and didn't pay it any mind and injured myself.

Good Luck.

Edited by Ivarboneless