A few questions -

Guest stevedana

Guest stevedana

Gentlemen: I'm new to the forum so I guess I'm a dreaded "newbie".  I'm not a newbie lifter though.  I'm a competitive powerlifter with a 1700lb + total at a drug free 275.  I am certainly no "captain of crush" like most of you but I can close the COC #2 with both hands.  I have never specifically trained grip so I am not familiar with all the various movements.  I would really appreciate a brief explanation of the performance of the following.  Forgive me if I butcher the terms  :)

1. Strap lift?

2. Plate curl?

I would appreciate an explanation of some of the more common grip building movements in addition to the above.  Please don't bash me and please don't tell me to buy some book :)  I appreciate your help and this is a #### good page.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Dana

Guest girevik

I'll try and explain the plate curl. You know how you pinch grip weight plates- you put two together with the smooth sides out, grab them over the top with your thumb on one side and fingers on the other, and lift? A plate curl starts out like that, then you stand up straight while pinch gripping the plate or plates, and curl it, with your fingers on the bottom. 1 or 2 ten-pound plates is ok to start with, most people can't curl one 25 right away, and a 35-pound plate is considered very good. Some people can curl a 45. It's not only the weight- the bigger the plate is, the father it is away from the hand, so it's harder. I am sort of a beginner- I can curl a 25 with one hand for five reps, and I can curl a 45 with two hands several times.