Two Things of Beauty!

Bill Piche

Update:

Second time trying them. First time I was a bit intimidated.  Here are some observations....

The sweep and close feel a lot different than either the current IM grippers or the BB Elite (chrome) I have.  Maybe it's the material used as in closer inspection there is a bit of color diff.

The sweep feels "spongier" if that make sense.  I tried the #3 and then my Elite. The spring dynamic is much harder with the Elite.  In fact, the fatter handles makes it a bit more comfortable on the hand.  The wide handles and fatter handles probably would favor the bigger handed person.  

My guess (unlike yesterday's guess to a couple friends) is the IP is about 470ish at the close. However, the midrange is not as "tight" as I am used to feeling.  

So, for sure, I can say there would be less COC's today if the SilverCrush 3 was the norm.

I've had a vintage 2, for a long time. I still haven't close it, but can do the BBM for reps. Any thought on the closing pressure of it. (assuming two are simular lol)

The #2 SilverCrush I have is probably equal to a weak 3. There were some 350ish 3's I think. It's between my weakest 3 and my BBM.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Sounds a bit like my new double stamped #2. It is a bit closer to my 396 ip #3 than to Arne's 286 ip #2, which is the hardest single stamped #2 out of four tested.

The sheer weight of these things makes them feel different.

Steve, I will email you later.

I have no idea on Tetting with respect to materials he would use.

Were the handles stainless steel or chrome plated steel like the early 90s ones? the chrome plating filled in the knurl and made the early ones even tougher to control. If you have the stainless ones they were VERY well made but expensive to produce and ship. Got some rare ones there!

I believe they are stainless steel. Very HEAVY overall. They feel twice the weight as the current IM grippers. :)

I think my 2 is plated, but I'm not sure. The knurling is dull, compared to the new ones. I also HAD two #1s. I'd say they were about like a weak 2. Both of the springs broke. I think because the handles were further apart, then the current ones, I had a tendency to twist the spring slightly when closing them. This cause the spring to rub together, resulting, overtime,  in the break.

All the grippers were given to me by a relative. He also gave me a first issue Ironmind Catalogue. They were bought at that time. Unfortunately, I have moved so many times, I can't find the catalogue. If I remember right, the one was advertised as seldom closed by someone who hadn't trained on it, and the two was listed as rarely closed. I think at the time Mr. Sorin was the only one to close the 3 (maybe Mr brookfield, I'm not sure).

I'm still hoping to close a new 3. I'll never no how close I was. I was to around a mm with my right and 1/4 inch with my left on the old 2. I kind of lacked motivation at the time. I mean I though I was light years from a 3. I didn't find out till latter they had changed. Three years of a data processing job really was tough on my grip training. FYI grip training and typing for hours don't mix well!

Wannagrip,

If the grippers are true stainless steel,a magnet should not stick to them. Give it a try.

O.K., 3Crusher asked ya this question (and I'd like to know):

Wanna, where did you get those grippers??

O.K., 3Crusher asked ya this question (and I'd like to know):

Wanna, where did you get those grippers??

I answered him via email just like I said I would oh booger of Snott.  :hehe

Looks like Chrome Plated Steel.

I magnet sticks to them.

Congrats Wanna you have THE chromed steel originals! I have many a fond grip memory with those silver crush grippers. Strange. I have only one of the short lived(produced) stainless handle models out of my 40 plus gripper collection. Enjoy em'

Congrats Wanna you have THE chromed steel originals! I have many a fond grip memory with those silver crush grippers. Strange. I have only one of the short lived(produced) stainless handle models out of my 40 plus gripper collection. Enjoy em'

Awesome! :)