Pinching Rules For The Euro Set Up

Mikael Siversson

I have talked to David Horne and we both agreed that we will accept the set up used at the 2006 Euro, which featured some plates with a diameter exceeding that of the 6mm steel plates of the set up. Obviously the bar has to be raised accordingly to compensate for the higher starting position.

We feel that by allowing full size 20k (and 45lb) plates it provides an incentive for organisers to use certified plates which of course is even better (provided they are not heavily worn) than dragging uncertified plates to a postoffice.

Please note that plates used in lower level powerlifting and oly competitions are commonly not certified. The main brands typically offer both certifed, more expensive plates as well as cheaper non-certified plates.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

When set up there need to be enough space between the 6mm steel plates and inner pair of full size certified plates so that no part of the hand is touching the full size plates. This can achieved by using collars wide enough or by adding small plates beteen the collar and the full size plates.

Sounds like this is going to eliminate leaning in the lift, pretty much, right?

-Jedd-

It would be somewhat harder to tilt it yes but it did not seem to make a big difference at all, looking at what Martin for example have done before. Anyway both set up varieties are fine with me and David Horne.

Personally, tilting the plates works to a certain point. If I tilt the plates too much I will lift less. Setting limits on the degree of tilting would be virtually impossible to enforce without a high degree of subjectivity.

I hear you. I am not sure how much I tilt, but I know that I can do more IF I tilt.

-Jedd-

Jedd, it was no big problem to tilt the setup IMO.

I don't know if it's the actual tilt or the "attempt" to tilt that helps. The heavier the weight - the less tilt I can get of course but "trying" to tilt makes a difference for me.