FrankyBoy

Wow, many guys probably want to put a curse on me but here it is:

Gripper Closes/Attempts from the Euros 2006

Caution: Its 10MB!!

Some add. infos:

Green = Flo

Black = Martin. A. (Motörhead)

Blue = Johan. A.

Martin and Flo are starting with a 3.54 rated Elite right handed.

Martin uses the same gripper left handed (Flo 3.14).

Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing the video with us :mosher

Thanks a lot for posting this!!

I noticed that Burkhard sometimes touched the gripping hand of the competitor. This is not allowed according to the LGC rules. It is basically up to the competitor to demonstrate that the gripper is fully closed. If the hand is shaking too much the attempt will not pass.

I am not saying that one method of judging is better than another but I cannot include the gripper results in the lists if judging was not fully comparable to previous competitions.

Perhaps the organisers can come up with a list of the competitors best results where their hand was not not touched by the referee.

I noticed that Burkhard sometimes touched the gripping hand of the competitor. This is not allowed according to the LGC rules. It is basically up to the competitor to demonstrate that the gripper is fully closed. If the hand is shaking too much the attempt will not pass.

Arne judged the same way in the Euros 2005 if the hand of the competitor was shaking too much - so I thought it would be ok to do so. He even mentioned this way of judging before the beginning of the contest.

I am not saying that one method of judging is better than another but I cannot include the gripper results in the lists if judging was not fully comparable to previous competitions.

Because of the above mentioned I think the results are comparable. Additional it was interesting to see that the hardest grippers which could be closed were closed clearly without any shaking - so there was no need to hold the competitors hand (for example Florians 3,65 was an absolute clear close in the third attempt - he held it shut for 2 seconds). The attempts with too hard grippers [ 3,81 (Martin A.) and 3,65 (Martin R.)] resulted in a "big" gap between the handles so there was no need to touch the competitor.

Perhaps the organisers can come up with a list of the competitors best results where their hand was not not touched by the referee.

Great Video!

I'm just curious here, but how close are the handles (from the set) before the attempts to close the gripper?

Great Video!

I'm just curious here, but how close are the handles (from the set) before the attempts to close the gripper?

Parallel set is the minimum!

Arne judged the same way in the Euros 2005 if the hand of the competitor was shaking too much - so I thought it would be ok to do so. He even mentioned this way of judging before the beginning of the contest.

Because of the above mentioned I think the results are comparable. Additional it was interesting to see that the hardest grippers which could be closed were closed clearly without any shaking - so there was no need to hold the competitors hand (for example Florians 3,65 was an absolute clear close in the third attempt - he held it shut for 2 seconds). The attempts with too hard grippers [ 3,81 (Martin A.) and 3,65 (Martin R.)] resulted in a "big" gap between the handles so there was no need to touch the competitor.

No no no my friend! I have never ever touched any competitors hand or wrist at any competiton! Just because it can give the competitor extra power.

Don't know what you are talking about Burkhard. I have competed in 10 LGC competitions and Arne has never touched the gripping hand of any competitor.

No touching of the competitors hands by the judge for the record lists I am maintaining. Simple as that.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I didn't see the video yet, but I'm pretty sure that Burk didn't touch the hand or the arm of the competitor when the gripper was closed. So don't worry, Mikael, to add those numbers to the record list. Ask Johan (for his great 3.54 close) if Burk touched his arm, I'm sure he didn't.

I remember Burk touched my arm when I failed the 3.65. But when I got it he didn't do it. The 3.25 lefty was no problem, so no shaking of the hand and no touching needed.

Also Martin Ressel closed the 3.54 clearly. I'm sure that Burk didn't touch his arm, but you can ask him personally.

Buy the way I don't think that touching the arm would help the competitor to close the gripper. Just try it, if you can close a gripper this way that you can't close the regular way.

Certainly looks like he is touching the hand of some competitors in the video clip and Burkhard himself seem to admit it.

Speaking of your 3.65 close, it would be great to see a video clip of it. Did anyone get it on video?