Closed a 485 today

Bob Lipinski

I got an SOS gripper rated 320/485 yesterday. First squeeze it felt pretty soft, and I gave it a go today. I closed it around 8 times total today, including a double.

So, anybody have suggestions for the next step? For now, the #4 still feels like a brick. My biggest problem is that I can't get it set in my hand properly to give it a good squeeze. I am considering ordering an SOS 520 or so, but I am concerned that the narrow width isn't working what I need for the #4. I had an Elite gripper a while back, but the handles were so far apart that it was much harder for me than my #4.

I am also considering "playing the lottery" with some Ironmind grippers, trying to get a #4 that is a little narrower. My #4 is about 3 inches between where the handles touch. In contrast, I have an "easy" #2 that is about 2 3/4 between the handles. For reference, my SOS is just a shade under the "easy" 2, at 2 5/8.

If anyone has a #4 with a sub-3 inch handle gap (I'm not measuring between the edges of the round base, but rather the inside edge of the handle) that I could borrow, buy, or trade for I would be more than grateful.

Geez Bob, a double?!  Wow!

You should be close to closing a #4 now with doing a double with a 485.  Unless you have a 580 #4?

My #4 is also about 3 inches wide at the base and 586ip. I'd be happy to let anyone give it a try.

For what it's worth if I were where you are I would probably look for something around 400/450 or 400/480 before resorting to the lottery. That way it should feel like a brick all the way in ... like a #4 does, just "easier".

Mike M.

Bob, I feel a little foolish offering advice to someone that can do a double with a 485 (while I am still struggling to consistently close a 330 ??? ), but here goes.

Two ideas come to mind:

1) Strengthen the pinch grip of your non-dominate hand to better pinch the handles closer together to set it into your dominate hand.

2) I took an Ironmind Red "Nail" and bent it into an isosceles triangle (with each leg a different length). I forced the gripper handles together (against my leg) enough to slip the triangle over the spring and onto the top of the handles to reduce the width of the handles (I'd previously wrapped a thin kevlar cloth around the top of the gripper to protect the knurling from damage) and so the triangle is holding the gripper in a partially closed position. Now, the gripper isn't so wide when you pick it up to close. Also, once you start to squeeze it down a little, and by tilting/shaking it a little, the triangle and cloth should fall off leaving you holding a partially closed gripper awaiting your pleasure! My Ironmind Red "triangle" works fine for my #429, but since you're tackling a COC #4, you need to make sure whatever you use for the triangle doesn't break and become shrapnel! BTW, a nice feature to the isosceles triangle shape is that all 3 legs are a different length and by rotating the triangle, you can "dial in" a smaller width between the gripper handles (i.e. 2" width, 1" width, 0.75" width). :D

Train smart!

My #4 was a 565 IP, then I had John Szimanski season it... and now it's a 535 IP closed.  I'll let you have a go on it after I bring it back from the AOBS.  :)

Did you say a 485 IP??   :crazy  :0    That's NUTS!!!   :hehe

Thanks guys.

My#4 is rated 318/558 (seasoned), but it feels just a world apart from any other gripper. I've gotten to within an inch, but most of my problem was setting it. It wasn't in an ideal position at all. Anybody have a link to the setting video? If it's in the grip gallery I'll probably find it, but I believe I am doing a decent job setting it now.

As far as pinching, I am working as hard as I can on that right now. I've pinched 65 on a 2x4 in either hand, and I am improving pretty rapidly.

Strongman, as far as the "triangle" idea, would that be allowed for certification? My hunch is no, but if it is allowed I will definitely try to rig something up.

Snott, what is the distance between the handles on that gripper? I would be more than willing to give it a go. If anybody else has a narrow #4 I would love to take a crack at it.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Hold on, your #4 is not more difficult to get to parallel than your 485 PDA as they have almost exactly the same parallel ip rating. There is nothing wrong with PDA's machine. It gives a very meaningful reading. It must all be in your mind.

Yes, I was suprised how big the difference was.

Just sitting here with no warmup, I can easily get the 485 to within a half inch with sweaty hands. The #4 feels like a rock, and I get it to about 1.5-2 inches with the same amount of effort. For what it's worth, my #3 (uncalibrated and seasoned) will go down to about 1/8 of an inch with a similar squeeze (I am trying them as I type this).

This is why I am especially eager to try another #4- If I can get one a little soft in the start or a little narrower, I will mash nearly anything I can get my hands around. I have plenty of strength left in me. Until then, I am building my pinch and supporting strength on thick bars and hope it helps.

Mikael, I'm adding this after I read your post. The 485 isn't much tougher than my three, then again my 3 is pretty easy for me so it's hard to tell.

Bob, maybe you should consider having a gripper made to your specs by Warren Tetting. People have been disappointed with the feel of SOS grippers and they don't seem to compare to COC.s even when they supposedly have the same IP.

The triangle is scalene as opposed to isosceles. Anyway, Bob, what you may need is a gripper with an unusually low parallel resistance. These grippers do not need to have a shallow handle angle.

Bob, I am not sure if such a gripper can be engineered that way. My guess would be that a loosely wound coil would have such a property. My BBM shows day light between the coils and is rather soft at parallel but becomes noticably hard afterward.

Great work Bob!