Horse Stall Mats For Floor Protection

Hubgeezer

My across-the-street neighbor, a strong cross between Al Bundy and Homer Simson, told me I should use one of his "horse mats" under my barbells.

The thing seems unbelievably indestructible, and the one mat is large enough to handle Apollon's Axle. I did a search function, and I see some of our more experienced members referring to them or using them.

Are these things the Holy Grail for simple, effective and relatively inexpensive floor protection, or am I missing something? It must weigh close to 100 pounds.

I haven't told Homer Bundy yet just how happy I am...

Hubgeezer

The rumors are true - much cheaper than regular gym mats and hold up forever. I got mine at Tractor Suppy but I've seen them at Farm and Fleet and no doubt other places as well.

They are amazing. I repeatedly dropped 200+ in iron weight on my mats from over head in our old shed. When I pulled up the rubber, the OSB I used for my lifting platform looked like new.

Whats the actual name of them?

They are actually called "Horse Stall Mats" - most are 4' x 6' x 3/4" hard rubber and weigh (iirc) 60-80lbs ea. I have several and they work awesome - they're very hard and dont have that "spongy" feel like some of the gym specific mats do. If you need to cut them just put a slice w/a box cutter, bend them, then finish w/a second cut (do not do what I initially did and use a power saw - very messy). Mine still look new after a year or two of hard use.

I agree on the conveyor belts too. we have a couple of those we got from Rick.

I live in a flat, will the neighbours below hear me drop the weights on the matt?

--Sorry, triple post, pc is running real slow today.

Edited by TomY

yes the neighbors will hear a thud if you drop the weight.

Yes but hopefully no plaster or dust will drop. The mats are impact absorbing not sound.

Edited by mobsterone

I live in a flat, will the neighbours below hear me drop the weights on the matt?

All my grip stuff is on the third floor of my apartment, I duct taped 2 big pillows together and that seemws to get most of the noise. You might add in some rubber or carpet segments if you've got people living below you too.

I need one, but not sure if I can get it to the house? Wondering how "flexible" they are...

Is it possible to roll-up one of these 4 x 6 mats to fit in the backseat of a car? I don't have a pickup.

I use conveyor belt rubber from a coal mine operation. It works great and is FREE.

Yes you can roll the livestock mats up to fit in the back seat of a car. Moving them from place to place is a fantastic workout. Nearly on par with wrestling hogs.

Yes you can roll the livestock mats up to fit in the back seat of a car. Moving them from place to place is a fantastic workout. Nearly on par with wrestling hogs.

My late father was a Ohio farm boy for the first 27 years of his life before WWII took him away. Personally, never been to Ashtabula Ohio, or anywhere in Ohio for that matter. The mat I have is something that would need to be washed well before I put it in the back of my car, as it is nearly on par with a stinky hog.

Back on the mat. I was EXTREMELY happy with a full workout on the sucker. I saw a cowboy client yesterday who has had horses his whole life, and he told me the things don't really wear out. I thought that banging 300 plus on a Vertical Bar would be a challenge for these mats, but I looked on the Internet and most of them are resistant to 340 pounds per square inch. I think the top 10 in the world Vbar guys might present a challenge to the resiliancy, but it will be safe for me. I can't think of anything else I do that would come close to stressing it.

My hex heads should be well insulated from causing damage.

Your comments have all been very interesting, and like I said originally, the search function indicated that some of our more serious members have known about these puppies for a long time. I can't believe that it was my neighbor who introduced me to them. Thanks again for the comments.

Shipping costs would be a bear, and I doubt if anyone lives more than 50 miles from where you could buy them. Wherever there are horses, there has to be stall mats.

Hbgzr

Just went to Gebos "way more hick style than yalls fancy tractor supply's" lol.

$36, 3/4" thick, 4x6, looks to be really solid, dropped 315 from waist level and did fine w/ concrete right below. Once again THANK YOU GRIPBOARD!

I got lucky, my gym was remodeling and I got 2 mats for $20 each, plus a weight tree.

Also scored some york olympic collars for free.

My mats the TEH AWSOME R0X0RZ.

Shredded up car tires poured with a rubber binder into thick, heavy ass slabs each 43mm thick. Awsome. Really awsome, i dont think you can destroy these things.