David Hurzeler Doing a Rafter Chin

Bill Piche

David,

Very impressive! What is your bodyweight? Also, what type of a grip workout routine do you follow? I'd love to be able to do a rafter pull-up, but at 250 pounds, I sometimes have difficulty performing single arm hangs from a horizontal bar. Good work!

David,

When lowering yourself from the rafter chin, can you

maintain your grip until your arms are straight?

Congrats!

Guest Jeff Roark

David,

I am interested in your size and your two/one hand pinch numbers, can you share some details. I also notice that you do a reverse grip/pinch does this help? I remember there was a discussion about that concerning a rule for one of the British Competitions to either allow or disallow it.

thanks guys!

- paul: my weight is currently about 74kg.

- roark: yes but cannot hold there long. the hard thing with arms extended is the part when you need to get into a flexed position. same as for the one-arm chin, really. A friend of mine can do 4 very low one-arm chins, but cannot do any starting arms extended without giving huge momentum from the hips.

- jeff: for numbers, I can pinch approx. 40-43 kg in the one-hand pinch (my numbers are a bit vague because I use an old bathroom scale to weigh the bag full of stones I lift) two hand pinch approx 80kg, but I think I can do a little better in that one.

yes the inverted grip helps me. without it, the higher I get, the harder it becomes to grip on the rafter. I also think it allows me to use a little pec power.

train hard

david

Awesome!

Guest Monkey Paws

Great job.  Can you do them pretty much on command now or is it something you have to peak for?

I haven't tried in a long time but I've come close to doing a single rafter pullup by standing perpendicular to the rafter and gripping the board with both thumbs away.  With a slight front lever I am able to get more weight onto my fingers.  Have you tried with this type grip?  I'm going to have to try again and try it your way too.

I can do them most of the time (after warm up) but to start real low I need to be in pretty good shape.

I think your technique is harder, specially as you get towards the end. I can't do them that way (or a very partial one).

try this way you should be able to do it (specially if you were close with your technique), at least a partial one. start arms at 90 degrees, or start off with a little jump. just as you would work towards a one-arm chin I guess.

btw, how's the bouldering?

do you mix grip training with it?

how often do you climb?

train hard

david

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

well done mate.  There arent many people that can do rafter chins and Im well impressed.  

Ever done then on two rafters?

Guest Monkey Paws

I love bouldering and I continue to improve although I am still recovering from a recent finger tendon injury.  I boulder every weekend and sometimes once midweek.  I would do more if I could but that is all my body can take.

I still mix in some grip training but I don’t really have a solid plan right now.  I lift and do some grip training midweek.  I was training my grip much more aggressively, particularly with the hangboard, before I hurt a finger bouldering in Yosemite.  That was about 5 weeks ago and I am now almost fully recovered.  Last weekend I was able to climb relatively hard on small granite holds without pain.  Sometimes I don’t feel recovered from the previous weekend until Thursday or Friday so I don’t do any extra grip training that might weaken me for bouldering.

Do you boulder at Cressiano?  It looks amazing; someday I hope to visit.

Take care,

Mark

no i've not been to cresciano yet (although I plan to). It's a bit far from where I live (for european standards! ) : about 5 hours drive. I still need to convince my wife that its worth the trip.

I agree it looks absolutely great.

as for tendon injuries from bouldering, I find that other kinds of grip training actually help me heal if i use exercises that do not put pressure on crimped fingers.

also, I feel they do not tire me too much, and that I can still climb on the next day. So now I mix grip training and bouldering.

hope you recover quickly

david