Sudden Hand Pain

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

I have been working my grip much more frequently.  I have been working it everyday but i am not sure if i will tonight.  More specifically I have been working my crush everyday.  I can sweep my #2 very easily but i just can't seem to close it.  I am a few millimeters away.

But back to my problem.  Could i have slept on it wrong?  It was fine the whole day even after wroking my grip at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  Then the next morning i had a LOT of pain in my left forearm and hand.  Should i slow down?  

I took some advil and the pain went away after i was working a little and did a charity car wash.  So I guess I just might have slept on my hand or something.  

Any suggestions??

Thanks  ???

Robby,

If you have to work grip everyday, try to vary what you do more, or at least do a couple of days of light active recovery i.e. close the one for a quick single or a few reps, maybe even stick with the trainer.  Also if you are that close to the #2, take a few days rest and then after a short warmup (or not) grab that #2 and squeeze it.  You'll probably surprised at what happens.

Overtraining, overtraining, overtraining.  Do grip work TWICE a week, or maybe even every other day.

Hey Robby, I used to think that frequent hand work was a big no no until I stopped babying my hands and increased the frequency. Your hands can adapt if you give them time and use the proper minset. I only go crazy on the grippers once a week still but now hit the #3 a few more times during the week and it is helping as it's only a mm or so from closing (f$#%&@! bitch!!!)). Listen to Riotgrips advice about mixing it up too, some days harder and some days easier when you need it. Days off help too especially after hitting your grip hard to the point of overtraining. You'll be surprised at the results.

Consistency helps (I find it hard sticking to something for more than 3 weeks, just when my gains are kicking in!)) as does getting stronger on all your other movements as well.

Back to your original question, the only problems I've had with my hands are sleeping on it badly (which is pretty often due to my stupid sleeping styles) and frequent mouse usage. After waking up on a badly slept on hand I usually give it some time to recover, usually a day or so and it goes away (the pain not the hand that is) and when my hand/fingers/wrist start hurting from constant use of the mouse I just switch hands and the pain goes away.

Arthur

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Thanks for the advice guys.  That was not the way i ordinarily train.  I was just getting frustrated about not making the progress that I wanted and read some posts about working your grip every day for a week or 2 and I thought i would try that.  

I will try to be more possitive. ;)

Thanks

Riotgrip is right, don't go balls out everyday.  I have had more pain training hard 1-2X per week with no work days inbetween.  If you do grip everyday, go hard 1-2 days per week, the others are active rest, light stuff to get the blood flowing.  Rest a few days, and then right back to it.......