Significant differences in IP?

Nathan Say

Guest StrongerthanArne

Well, 52 ip is a big difference. A 338 ip gripper is a whopping 18 per cent more than a 286 ip gripper. It may or may not matter that the 286 ip gripper is harder to close than the 338 ip. I thought that the calibration fiasko was dead and buried by now.

It's never been dead in my mind per say.

A 500in-lb IP and a 400in-lb IP are worlds apart and are the difference between pretty good and awesome in my opinion.

All one has to do is have an ELITE, a #4, and several 3's and some 2's and they know what I mean.

I believe that if we can "feel" relative toughness that someone should be able to measure it.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Yes, someone should but PDA could'nt. I have done strapholds on several occassions with the 338 and 286 ip grippers and the 286 is the harder one every time. This should not be possible, in theory, as PDA measure the ip a mm or so away from full closure. Obviously they are either doing something wrong or there is some major flaw with their machine.

Perhaps am i pushing open doors but in my opinion IP is both crucial and only really significant when measured on the same types of grippers and by this i mean the same physical characteristics (or external enveloppe): for example a gripper with the same IP but with smaller handles is more difficult to close (in some extent off course).

IP is not everything off course also because the force to apply varies all along the closure: imagine a #3 for which you would be obliged to apply the same force from the beginning of the closure to the end, this one could have the same IP that the actual #3  but would be far more difficult to close (you would not have the opportunity to "set of the run-up").

That's what i think ironmind's protests are not totally justified since their grippers have all the same external enveloppe (almost) all this said with all the respect i have for this company that sell in my opinion REAL QUALITY products...IP is not everything but better than the current fat nothing ! I live in France so i will not have my grippers PDA tested but i wish i could  ??? !

I don't believe there is a flaw in WHAT is measured. STATIC IP at (mid-handle approx.) close I am sure is accurate. However, note the words STATIC and at CLOSE and at mid-handle.

Key words IMO.

Let's not get into this again. :)

The funny thing STA is you were so adamant FOR IP measurement and then your bubble was burst and now you are letting it close your mind totally.  :)

I am sure it's possible to measure them. They are a "physical" device. Physics is applicable to grippers just like everything else. Springs have been measured for years.  It's more than likely an economical limit at this point.

edit: And that's all I will say. :)

Guest StrongerthanArne

I was initially so naive that I bought all of John's arguments. I then had first hand experience of a number of calibrated grippers and could quickly determined that there were MAJOR flaws with the static full closure ip ratings (see my comments above regarding strapholds). In hindsight I feel like an idiot having challenged Pat and Heath without first having based my oppinion on an sample of adequate size.

We all found out there were flaws. Including John. And, he stated it as well.

My point was...

I think it still has merit without any tweeks or fixing how they are measured.

The 400/500 levels. Clearly evident in closing them.

And, in the # of people who can do the 500IP rated is SMALL (or above)...an obvious ELITE crusher IMO.

What I meant was would someone be able to tell the difference between, say, a 280ip gripper & a 300ip gripper if they're both easy?

Nate, if you can close a #2 with any kind of authority, then (with perhaps a few exceptions), you should be able to close most grippers that are calibrated at that inch pound level.