new to the board...

whitleyd

hi all. im new to the board and am really happy to have found it.

I have questions about training & goals. i can close the #2 ironmind gripper for 3-5 reps on most days. i'd like to close the #3 on my birthday, which is nov 23.

1.does this sound reasonable?

2.i could use some tips on how to proceed . i'm concerned about overtraining due to my job as a massage therapist.

my current grip routine looks like this:

2 sets of 10 w/the #1 gripper

2-3 sets of 5 w/#2 & a static hold on the last rep, usually bout 20 seconds.

1 set w/ a 2" wrist roller, 6' cord, 10lbs

if im up to it i'll include finger plate walking(10lbs)& some pinch grips w/2 10lb plates

i do this once a week on thursday or friday.

i also do pulldowns, rows or deadlifts 1or 2 days a week.

any comments, suggestions or just saying hi is appreciated.

david

Welcome to the GripBoard, David!!  :)

First of all..... you must be doing something right if you can already close the #2.  So, yes... that #3 is within your reach.

Try incorporating some timed holds on your gripper, or even some strapholds.  Get some "negatives" work in.  This will definitely help you.  Try this routine two times a week; light warm-up.

A straphold is a lift where you hold a shoelace or some other thin piece of something & tie that to a weight & pick it up. Here's a pic of Scott doing a straphold. They're good because you've got to squeeze to close the gripper & squeeze some more to hold the string in place & you can add weight a bit at a time.

Check the FAQ section. Also, please do some self research by reading thru the posts in this forum.

But, don't call Snott's hotline...

BAAAHAHAH!

:hehe  :p  :hehe

Welcome to the board.  I am sure you will see that we have some of the greatest here, including the 1st COC, Richard Sorin.  Just looking around will give you an idea of how most of us train to get that elusive #3.

As far as you closing it-it is within your reach but training infrequently and without intensity and purpose will make this goal long reaching.  You have to attack it like you want to kill it if you hope to close it by November!

Rick Walker :hehe