2002 AOBS Dinner

3Crusher

I just spoke with Vic Boff.  He is doing a very nice thing for those of us from the Grip Board who are attending the AOBS Dinner.  He is reserving a table especially for Grip Board members.  He has asked me to forward the names of the people from the Grip Board who have already paid for and received their tickets and will be attending the dinner.  He will note who will be sitting at the table on his attendance checklist, which is in possession of the people taking your admission ticket at the door.  Once you check in, you should be informed that you are sitting at the Grip table.  Those from the Grip Board that I know are paid in full and attending are myself, Pat Povilaitis, Heath Sexton, Tom Black, John Hicks, and Richard Sorin.  Of those I mentioned, I assume that you all are interested in sitting at the Grip table.  Please confirm this, as I want to let Vic know.  Others from the Grip Board that are attending (that I don't know about) and would like to sit with us, please respond to this post and I'll add you to the list I send to Vic.  Vic mentioned that the tables seat 10.  So far I believe we have 8 people at the table which includes two people who don't post to the Grip Board.  By the way, I also know of a certain equipment and magazine distributor who will be showing up to the AOBS Dinner according to Mr. Boff.  This is going to be one fun event that is all about saluting the greats of the Iron Game and preserving the memory of the greats that have passed on.  Only three weeks to go, but who is counting?

Edit: Please respond by June 3rd.

Steve Weiner

A good get together for sure.  Who are they honoring?  Hopefully, some one really who is an Iron Game great...

Tom, bring your camera!

Steve,

I received my ticket earlier this week, and I'd definitely like to sit with the members of the gripboard.  I mentioned this to Vic when I sent my check.  But if you're the one in charge, please put me at the grip table.  Thank you :)

Is Rick Walker going to the AOBS??

I'm going, and I'll bring my camcorder to catch all the fun!!  :)

Nathan-AOBS stands for Association of Oldetime Barbell & Strongmen, and is run by the one and only Vic Boff.  Snott- As for Rick Walker going, only he can answer that.  Wanna-The main honoree this year is Al Oerter-4 time gold medalist in the discus, and I honestly forgot the names of the other two honorees.  Greg-I'll add you to the list.

Sybersnott,

I can say with 100% certainty that Rick Walker will not be attending the AOBS dinner.

I'll be there............

Rick-It's too bad you can't make the dinner.  Rumor has it that Snott was going to cut you off in the parking lot just for fun. :D

3Crusher,

Ya got it wrong!  I was gonna hog-tie him down, and have him sit next to me the whole time, telling me ALL his training secrets!!  :p

I sent out the list of names yesterday for "The Grip Table" to Vic Boff.  We have 9 people at the table, of which 7 are active Grip Board members.  We'll have Tom Black, John Hicks, Greg D'Eramo, Pat Povilaitis, Heath Sexton, Richard Sorin, and yours truly.  It is going to be lots of fun.  Richard Sorin is bringing some of his legendary grippers for us to try.  There will be plenty of picture taking going on.  The day after, Pat, Heath, and I are going to Iron Island to grab a workout, and we'll also try to grab that 50 pound blob that sits there as well.  What a great weekend.  Getting to meet many Grip Board members, and then getting to see them in action.  It's gonna be good.

Steve Weiner

• 2 weeks later...

Dibs on sitting next to Richard!  This is gonna be a fun AOBS!!

If you had to walk on broken glass to the dinner it would be worth it! There is something going to happen that will blow you ALL away and set the strength world on its ear. And think grip brothers YOU will be there!A secret I must keep........for a few more days! DON'T miss it.

Anything ya' gotta do to get there..... DO IT!You will tell your grandchildren about this!

With the GripBoard crew armed with cameras (they are), I hope to have photos up soon after the dinner. :)

Richard, do you mean Sir Snott or Heath going after the buffet plate world record?  I don't know who I'd bet on in that one.  Seriously, I can't wait to see what the secret is....you've got our attention.

My guess on the feat of strength.

Someone, probably Mark Henry will Clean and press, or Dare I say Snatch! the fabled Inch dumbell.

I could be way off on this, because I truly have no evidence to base my guess on :D

My guess on the feat of strength.

Someone, probably Mark Henry will Clean and press, or Dare I say Snatch! the fabled Inch dumbell.

I could be way off on this, because I truly have no evidence to base my guess on :D

That would be my guess too, but who knows what might really happen.  

Hint to guys who can go to the dinner:  don't just bring a camera, see if you can get a camcorder.  One that works well in low light conditions would be a big help I bet.

Guys, if you have camcorders, I can make clips from either VHS or 8mm tapes easily.

I'm taking my camcorder, so don't worry... I'l catch it all!!  :)

I was hoping Richard wouldn't let it slip... the "secret" I mean!!

Getting excited about meeting you guys!  I'll be hopping on that bird 6 am Friday morning. Look out all you yankees, here I come!  Hopefully you guys will be able to decode my south'n draw......

Heath,

I didn't want to mention it... but it is quite a drawl.  Living in the south like I do (in Georgia), I could "decode" it quite easily.  BTW, there are some southerners that I CAN'T understand (yeah, it's that bad!).  :)