Is anyone able to close the #3 with perseverance ?

amaury

Hi everyone,

I'm a freshman in the Grip world (received my COC's a week ago and Ivanko a month ago) even if I have practiced weightlifting for some years now (i'm 25). I can only close the #1 but i hope beeing able to close the #2 some day! Since i am not very strong (my PR would certainly make most of you laugh  :) ) i was wondering whether i could dream of closing the #3 one day !?

I'm also deeply impressed by the number of Certified (and famous) COCs on this forum: you guys are a great inspiration!

Thanks.

From France,

Amaury.

Determination is a key factor in closing the 3 or any goal gripper. :)

Welcome to the GripBoard.

Within reason yes. I suggest checking out many, many posts here. One thing I will add. You have to take it as seriously as you would a one-rep max on any big lift. Don't play at it. That said once you've got it you'll be able to do it most days.

#3 yes, #4 no. I think it's like a 900lb deadlift vs a 500lb deadlift. Pretty mmuch anybody can do a 500lb deadlift in their lifetime & that's pretty good, but not everyone will be able to do 800 or 900 or break world records.

Nathan's analogy is a very good one.  Anyone probably can deadlift 500 lbs, but remember, some people will have to work much harder and with more determination to reach that goal.

Guest DavidHW

Thinking of the popular "everyman's" goals set out by Hardgainer for comparison, is it  

300 bench = 400 squat = 500 deadlift = No. 3 gripper?

It might be (assuming of course the powerlifting numbers above are for raw, drug-free lifts). I personally know that I could take nearly any healthy male off the street between the ages of 18-88, train them right, and have them benching 300 in under a year. It's not that hard. Squatting takes a lot of technique, so I'm not as sure about that one. But I bet I could get an average Joe up to a 400 deadlift in a year or so.

Question is, could the anonymous, average, healthy but untrained Everyman I'm envisioning do a No. 3 in a year? That I don't think. So perhaps the No. 3 is more analogous to a 400 bench, 500 squat, and 600 deadlift?

Oh, heck . . . just go out and train hard, train smart, train like your life depended on it, and let the results fall where they will.

David

The #3 is within your reach.... if you train hard.

The #1 and the #2 were easy for me.  It was the #3 that I knew what was ahead of me.  I had to TRAIN to close the #3.

You've come to the right place.  The greatest talent in the world when it comes to hand/grip strength is on this forum!  We are ready to help you - all you have to do is ask!

Welcome to the GripBoard!!  :)

hi!

cool to have a new member.

where are you in France (I am, in Switzerland, not too far from the border - near Pontarlier-)?

yes i definitely think you can close the #3 if you don't have unusually small hands and good dedication.

train hard

david

Hi again,

first i d'like to thank you all for your answers : now i'm sure that i'm gonna make it to the #3 (if i don't get injured :( )!

As a typical hardgainer it will probably take some time but if i get stuck i know now where to ask  ;)

And why not beeing the first french COC ? (i don't think there is one yet) It would not be that bad for a hardgainer! The problem to achieve that goal is that it doesn't take much training time for me to get overtrained so i'll have to take it slow. Hope there is not another french on the run (it's a joke: it's high time french get involved in grip training...).

To "the Swiss": i live in PARIS  and as far as my hands are concerned they are rather big, in fact they are long and thin:the strongman/Anthony Clark type, more precisely !  :p

Thanks again, i'm more enthusiast than ever !

I'll inform you on my progress!

not wanting to cut your motivation down, but I also have the french nationality ...

consider me the first half-french COC if you like (and if there really are no french COC)  :)  :)

train hard anyway

david

I think the "average" man (whatever that might be) will never be able to close the #3 with any amount of training, and regardless of the time spent trying to achieve this goal.  I think that the #2 gripper would be more along the lines of the "average" man's ultimate capability.  Maybe eventually working up to closing the #2 for reps.  

In my experience with the grippers, only 25% of the men I give them to can close the #1.  That's including many manual laborers.  The #2 has been closed by about 5% or less of the people that I have let try.  And I have let at least 200+ people (mostly men) try the grippers.  I've only found one female who could even close the Trainer.  And probably 20 have tried.

Hi bencrush (hello everybody),

what can you do with ironmind grippers ?

I have used my ivanko super gripper (i can close it notches 8 and 6) for less than a month before receiving my COCs ; I received ironmind grippers last friday and was able to close the #1 on the first day. The #2 seems out of reach but i'm sure i will make it some day. So do you think i have a chance to close the #3 (i'll try anyway :crazy)??

bencrush,

Without going into a long discussion, you may be right to an extent.  The "average" man cannot close a #3.

But again.... what is "average"?  I couldn't close the #3 the first time I tried.  But, I TRAINED to close it - that's the difference.  Most guys probably could too IF they trained (it took me two years to do it).  Also, I was at the beginning "grip strong", and I had the desire to close that #3!!