It's official: Wannagrip's a genius

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

After nuking my right hand with 10 straight days of overcrushes on my PDA 363, leading to a total flameout Thursday a week ago, I rested for 10 further days, having my first go at the No. 3 since that time tonight.

It closed with a click. A loud one. Not once, but twice (after 5 minutes' rest). Couldn't get a third single, but heck, I'll rest another week and see if I can work on holding a rep for a photo.

I think I can give a thumbs up to Wannagrip's overcrushing regimen (with perhaps maybe a corresponding number of rest days following the first day of failure to close the gripper you're using for the overcrush; e.g., 10 straight, hand-ripping days, followed by 10 straight days of NO grip work).

Anyway, thanks go out to Wannagrip.

David

[on edit: I remembered after I first posted this that I *did* attempt the No. 3 eight days ago, on Sunday, but it was SO pathetic (I couldn't get the thing past parallel due to fatigue, iirc), I didn't count it as an attempt. LOL]

Glad I was able to help. Hey, I just told you to keep going with the overcrushes.  :)

Since you are trying to get certified, I would rest a couple days and try again and see if you can duplicate the results.

Guest DavidHW

Yep, I'm pretty close to giving Ironmind a call. Last night, the No. 3 was closing with about the same relative trouble as my 363 gave me when I mastered it a few months back. In fact, had I not been so surprised to feel the handles click and grind like they did on the first close, I *might* have been able to hold it long enough for a photo. Definitely too tired though by the second rep and third (failed attempt).

Next week (or maybe 4 days, if my hands feel recovered) is going to be a first attempt aiming at sustaining closed handles.

David

You are there.  Just tweek and dial in the rest you need to perform on demand and hold it long enough for a good pic.  :)

I would also seek out an audience.  That may sound funny, but do it.  Find different friends or family to "witness you".  Go thru the same warmups you would do before closure.  Make it the same every time.  Do it in odd locations (like your work at lunch).  Get out of the comfort of your familar surroundings.  

Then, when you have to "go somewhere" to get witnessed, it will be old hat to you!

Nice job David.

Interesting, this may be something that I will give a try. Im still stuck on getting this darn 2 closed half the time, and the little experience Ive had with doing overcrushes they seem to help, so if I keep doing them Im hoping to see some good results. They seem to have worked for David!  :D

When I qualified, I was three or four days out (no grip training whatsoever) before the official attempt.  Then on the day I did it.... no warm-up, just straight to a close!  I closed it four different times that day.