Pain From Levering

Blackheart

Hello grip brothers again..

The last days i am able to do a front lever with a 5 kilo sledge and the longest handle i could find here!

I am near the end of the handle , and i am quite happy but i have a problem....Annoying...

When i raise the sledge these last days the pain between my forefinger and the thumb is unbearable...That is the place where the handle lies and the part that raises the sledge....What it can be done to thicken and toughen the particular spot so that i do not hurt so much when i lever? Help please!

Edited by Blackheart

I am not sure if I have experienced the same pain you are refering to but in the past if I do not hold on very tightly with all of my fingers I hurt my thumb. Usually I am trying to get the hammer to the horizontal position so I open my hand a little with my pinky and ring fingers, this places a ton of tstress on my thumb joint and "tweaks" it.

probably a dumb questions but, is this skin pain or tendon/ligament/muscle pain?

Skin pain, a couple days off, some lotion, maybe contrast bathes, you'll be right as rain.

Other, I would say this area is taking a whole lot of stress from your combined levering and thickbars. Lay off both, a little. Maybe try to emphasize one at a time rather than both simultaneously. You are putting a lot of strain on your thumb and all the bits that keep it together. Give it some rest, ice and you'll be front levering again in no time.

btw, 5K front lever, like the kind where the head is pointed away from the body at it's lowest point? Nice work there.

I have a question:

you front lever the sledge in the Slim type of form (from the floor)?

or you lever it in the other form?

Oops I was smoking crack when I replied earlier. I was thinking a BACK lever, as in strict lever to the nose.

I don't know why you would feel pain in a front lever unless, like me, you are pained @ how weak you are.

No guys i was misunderstood or didn't typed it right.The lever i am reffering to is a strict lever to the nose, you know the one that you hold the hammer in front of you with a straight arm and the head of the hammer looks up.Starkmann it is probably a skin pain.The torque is great upon it when i lever and some times the next day, the particular place of the hand (where the handle rests when i lever) is kind of extraordinary red...Gripuru i have never tried to do any Slim's style levering...

Edited by Blackheart

Blackheart, I know what you are talking about. I only have a 10 lb sledge that I have been working on and I am only about halfway down the handle. When the handle goes back towards the nose if hurts my hand around the thumb area. It always feels like it is getting pinched between the handle?? It hurts like the dickens. I just thought I was being a sissy. I haven't found a solution for it, and it doesn't help my motivation to get better at levering.....

hmm, skin pain.

I'd say you are probably doing something else to compound the problem so keep an eye on that but, I have noticed that the handle often does not sit squarly in my hand if I try ti lift the sledge from the floor with just one hand. Then it twists in my hand as I lever, it seems to make the lever easier but I could see that causing skin pain.

Get the sledge in your hand then use your other hand to steady it while you work your hand around a bit and make sure it is sitting in your hand right.

Beyond that, rest, hand lotion, contrast bathes and rest seem like the only prescription. I know some hikers put rubbing alcohol on their feet to toughen the skin, there is considerable contraversy as to whether it works. You could try this.

Are you training grippers too? that would do it.

makey98 i have seen many plateaus to my grip training either for pain (of the skin) or "deadends"...i don't know...Quite unhappy with that....Gnerally here in Greece i am 99% certain that grip training is at least unknownYou cannot find no block weights no cast weights, thick bars etc...So all equipment needed for grip training must be ordered from internet or it must be made by me...Another story this......Today a friend at the gym saw me doing some plate pinching and he was laughing......Many difficulties but i will manage it...