Bbb - More Info

John Beatty

To all competitors-

The BBB is a lot bigger (nearly twice as big) as last year & I've been throwing around how to make it go faster so we don't finish at 10pm (or midnight). Give me some feedback on these ideas-

Grippers - I've got guys that train here & I'm going to coach them on gripper judging. We'll do 2 guys at a time on grippers.

Bending - Flights of 4. Since you just need a stopwatch & a final measurement, we don't have to wait for each attempt. Another option would be flights of 4 for the first 2 rounds & one at a time for the last bend to allow for adjusting for competitors.

Scale wt, Hercules hold, & Blobs - no way to speed these up. Only have one set. Plus is they go pretty quick.

Vbar - 25 lb jumps until 250, then 10. After 300, depending on how many are left, we'll allow small jumps, I have plenty of 1 1/4 lb plates. I'll get the plates weighed at the post office soon. Possibly do the micro for everyone's 3rd attempt.

Bomb - 2 at a time, there's not enough variation in the Bombs to give an advantage. I have plenty of weights.

-

Maybe even bigger jumps on the v-bar up until 350 could chop more time off. It really made the event go faster this year at GGC and last year! Everything else looks great.

-Jedd-

Jed's right about v-bar, larger jumps made GGC go quick.

bomb is for max weight. is it going to be rising scale like v-bar?

every thing else looks to be timed so they will go fast if 1 min or less.

John do you need any extra stuff like scale weights or blobs I have some I could bring?

John do you need any extra stuff like scale weights or blobs I have some I could bring?

I have 4 scale weights, and blobs from 22.5 to the Blob50, so I'm good there. If you have some oddball grippers, maybe a few of those to fill gaps, but I've got a pretty good supply of them, too. Anything you want to bring to play with after is good.

Vbar - 25 lb jumps until 250, then 10. After 300, depending on how many are left, we'll allow small jumps, I have plenty of 1 1/4 lb plates. I'll get the plates weighed at the post office soon. Possibly do the micro for everyone's 3rd attempt.

I am very glad to hear that you will use calibrated weights for the vbar events.

Even though the FBBC and LGC vbars do not seem to be fully comparable it will give added credibility to any records set on a FBBC vbar if calibrated weights are used.

We do not want our records to be discredited by future iron game historians just because we did not use calibrated weights.

That's a good point, Mikael.

• 3 weeks later...

John - any chance you could list the bending stock progression from easiest to hardest that you'll be using - or point me to it if it's already posted somewhere. You keep adding more stuff all the time - just want to be sure of where I am. I'm not able to bend much but knowing exactly what will be there will maybe let me not bomb the whole event with some wise choices while not reinjuring my shoulder.

John - any chance you could list the bending stock progression from easiest to hardest that you'll be using -

Yes, that would be nice.

It would be still interesting which type of stock we have to expect there.

In my case I'm really curious if the Hex stock will be there. :)

John probably needs to chime in here, but I can tell you last year that if he didn't have the piece you wanted cut, he cut and ground it right there. The entire range of FBBC stock was fair game.

I'm nursing a more or less constant injury from climbing that bending seems to bother a lot. I don't want to not bend at all and "bomb" the event - if I know what all will be available and can equate that to the stock I have right now, I can train with that for a while and then I can perhaps order some of Johns all around that level to train on - then I'll know where to start and finish at during the contest without having to do more than a couple bends.

Basically, I have the main stock sizes cut & ready to go, last year I was cutting it while guys were warming up, plan to have it actually ready. I'll have anything in the FBBC line. If someone wants a 5 3/4, or 6 3/4 or some such, I'll cut it as we go. Bolts, round, square & hex are all game.