Training And Certifying Without Chalk

kelby

i see alot of certifications for the number threes. do you some of them would make the certification for threes witlhout the chalk. and i dont use any chalk to train with, wonder if i would get to the threes faster if i trained with chalk

I believe you would, chalk is an aid and it helps to stop slippage in the palm when closing a gripper. I appreciate that there are a few people who train without chalk, and that is certainly their right, but don't understand why to not take advantage of something that can make your training that much more effective than not using it.

I have not used chalk until recently with grippers.i have found that after the 1st few reps,it stops the slipping.if you dont have the slipping problem,maybe it doesnt matter if you use chalk or not. try and see if it helps.i notice that it does have a drying effect of the skin as it does absorb moisture which its supposed to do.

I have not used chalk until recently with grippers.i have found that after the 1st few reps,it stops the slipping.if you dont have the slipping problem,maybe it doesnt matter if you use chalk or not. try and see if it helps.i notice that it does have a drying effect of the skin as it does absorb moisture which its supposed to do.

See the thing is tho I never used chalk until I got into Grippers.. now I'm kinda obessed with it. Hell I even chalk my hands up for squats now, don't know why..

See the thing is tho I never used chalk until I got into Grippers.. now I'm kinda obessed with it. Hell I even chalk my hands up for squats now, don't know why..

using chalk can help in many lifts, including squats. when you squat or bench the last thing you want is for your hands to slip especially when going heavy. it's pretty much an essential part of deadlifting because when you get into the big numbers the bar will rip your callouses into raw skin as the bar slips, at least that's what happened to me. so don't be afraid to use chalk often in your training.

i see alot of certifications for the number threes. do you some of them would make the certification for threes witlhout the chalk. and i dont use any chalk to train with, wonder if i would get to the threes faster if i trained with chalk

I am a #3 closer and chalk the handles and my hand on every single gripper I touch now. Including my warmup with the Trainer and #1. Is it absolutely necessary for me to close a #3? No. Does it help quite a bit? Yes! No doubt about it. Most people will be able to demonstrate their strength better using chalk. My workouts are very consistent with the addition of chalk. Not that they were terribly hit or miss without it, but some days the handles would feel more slick than others depending on the humidity of where I was training with them that day. Chalk takes that out of the equation and lets you focus on more important things...like SLAMMING THE HANDLES SHUT! :rock

For those that don't use chalk, rock on. Do whatever you want. But I like chalk and use it and recommend it to anyone who wants a little edge.

As for your question about whether or not they would be able to certify with the #3 without chalk: I'd guess that would be a big YES. The guys that certify aren't just barely closing their #3. They're dominating it! You have to be able to close it for at least many singles and with varying strength levels to certify. So most of the certed guys could probably close it with no chalk pretty easily if they felt the need to. Some of the monsters could dip their #3s in Crisco and close them.

Another thing Kelby: Do you use any set besides a no set in your training? If so it's just another tool like chalk that makes things more consistent or "easier" if you want to call it that. Just another tool in the tool box.