Young ones nail there grippers today!

David Horne

Today (26/5/02) Oliver Horne nailed the #2 gripper at aged 14, shortly followed by Alexander Horne who shut the Trainer at 10 years of age. They really enjoy their training, and achieving these goals is a great incentive for them.

David

David, wondering what the 10 year olds training is like at that age?

Congrats to both of them!

Alex's training is very similar to the training used by Jason, Elizabeth and Oliver at that age. Once a week, and consisting of grippers, pinch lift, curls, bench, abs and free standing squats for lots of reps. A few other things are thrown in from time to time but this is the basis for their training at this age.

David

Great work David! What kind of a diet do you have the boys on? I'm sure the reason that they are doing so well is the example you set for them.

I'll support all my boys in whatever they want to do, and I'm very happy for them. We all eat just normal food.

Nick,

They will be now training on the grippers above the #1 (#2 for Alex) and #3 (Ironman super for Oliver) for holds onto blocks of wood.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

WELL DONE OLLIE  & ALEX :D

Ollie, you were so close on Saturday that I'm really pleased you shut it yesterday ..... hats off to you mate, you beat me to the #2 :)

Dave

Its great to see the lads enjoying training so much, the friendly sibling rivalry and they all deserve these mile stones of achievement.  I think Ollie said hed be happy to shut the #2 by August 3rd so it goes to show what can be done with persistency and dedication.  Alex is doing really well on the trainer, hes been working really hard for it and once his hands get a bit bigger, he'll find those gripper easier.

Keep up the good work Alex and Ollie, dont think i'll roll over and let you win on the 3rd August   ;)

Guest mikebyoung

Congrats Ollie and Alex!

Congrats to you too,Dave.

I have 2 boys myself. I am divorced and only have them to my house on weekends. The three of us do grip workouts together. They are 15 and 13 years old. My 15 year old,Tyler, is closing the #1. Connor,my 13 year old, has much smaller hands is unable to close a gripper,but keeps at it. We work in pinch gripping, the Rolling Thunder,hub lifts, and levering. My good friend Tom usually joins us for little competitions. (Connor makes a great judge...very picky with form).

We have a blast.

It's nice to see other families bonding with their workouts.

Thanks for sharing, David.

Have fun,

Mike.

Mike,

Try getting Connor some weaker grippers to train on and do strapholds. This is what I did with Alex, he must have gone through some 5 or 6 grippers to get to the 'Trainer'.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

I took my #2 to the gym last night and out of the 8 men who took up the challenge not one got to within half an inch of shutting it.  The smallest of the 8 men was around 14 stone with the bigger man weighing near on 16 stone and some, arguably are 'assisted'.

Now this made me think.  A 14 year old lad weighing less than 160lbs has done something 30 year old 220lb men cant do.  Don’t you think that deserves a bit more congratulations and credit than he’s received already?

Its great to see Bill, Nick, Mike, Tim and David realising the future of the sport lies with the youngsters and if we don’t encourage them on their achievements then what does that say about us?  Only thinking of ourselves and our own goals?

The post has been read 200 times with only 9 responses.  I’m sorry but that’s pathetic!  :angry:

Scott,

It has been a holiday weekend for us Yanks.  I, for one, have been quite busy.  

I would also like to congratulate Ollie and Alex.  You two have performed admirably, and your achievements are very significant.  The greater world may never appreciate what you have done, but then they will never achieve what you have either.  

Well Done!  Alan

Great job, Ollie and Alex! Truly a stellar performance from such young men!

David, I know how proud you must be! My kid (age 13) is about 1/16th of an inch from closing a COC #1 and has a goal to shut my COC #2 by the end of the year.

Best of luck to you all!

Congratulations David (may i call you David ?),

what your boys did is really impressive and that's not surprising since you've done very impressive things yourself.

I guess the Horne's family is the next Gillingham's family !