1" Vert bar

strongmitts

513lbs!!!!!!!  That is a sick amount of weight!  I just started doing these for the first time a few weeks ago.  I was really humbled by the amount of weight I could use.  I have a fellow lifter grip training with me that is a 700 lb deadlifter and we are both only managing around 160 for 10 second holds.  What kind of training methods did you do to reach such a level on the vert bar?  We were planning on doing holds on one week and then multiple singles the next.  Thanks      :)

Strongmitts

There wasn't really any method behind my training for that lift.  I'd say I first tried the v bar (1") about six weeks before pulling the 513, and all I did was just keep increasing the weight each week depending on how brave I was feeling.  I only ever did singles but I should point out that I was using the hook grip which was very painful and only allowed for about 4 or 5 singles per training session.  I haven't actually ever failed on this lift, so I never really saw the need to think about training methods to increase my poundages.  If you want to lift your max poundage use the hook, but it is painfull and I don't think you could use it over a long period without losing a nail.  Otherwise, what you have planned sounds fine to me!

If I where you I'd just stick to the 2" v bar.  Much less painful and sensible ;).  Good luck!!

Mr. Wylie, Thanks for the reponse!!  I will give that hook grip a try.       :crazy

Guest 115-1005574997

Strongmitts

The 1" vbar is a test of guts as much as it is strength.  The more pain you can tolerate the better and stronger you will be, both physically and mentally.  That’s why i think the 1" vbar is a REAL lift for REAL men (present company accepted Eliz)  ;)

Seriously though, it IS a tough lift to go to your limits and you just have to tolerate the pain but you will be a bigger, stronger person for it and it doesn’t do any lasting damage.

Take the pain Strongmitts and see what you can do :)

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album33/aai

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album33/aak

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album33/aao

That said, and I agree with the comment regarding the painbut only if you use the hook grip as suggested, it isn't beyond the pale to lift quite a bit of weight without the hook grip. I am aiming for 300 pounds without the hook grip saving that (and I'll need tips on the day) for the competition.

Guest 115-1005574997

Steve

A 135k vbar without hook is quite good, but you loose so much potential development from the lift without the hook grip.

Think about the extra strength your body will be devloping if you could be lifting 100k more!

Since im now training only with a hook grip and for heavy singles in seeing a lot of extensor development and thickening around the elbow which ive never got and that helps me with the Hbar curls and other grip lifts.

If you just wanted to train, as Jim says, use a 2" vbar, but if you want a challenege or stay competative then you have to shut out the pain :)

!!! Just to make the point (again). My last line says that I will save the hook grip for competition day :crazy

Guest 115-1005574997

Steve

what’s the point you are trying to make 'cos you have confused me :crazy

Lets be realistic though.  If you want to be doing 300lbs (about 130k) without a hook grip on the day (so Im assuming you cant do that much now) then i don’t think you will be able to add much more than 50k to that weight (based on my own experiences and training).

So thats about 180k.

Now I hope you prove me wrong but Im not sure what you'll be expecting to lift on the day?

Hmmm, I think you've got it now. I intend training without the hook grip, as its so painful, and only using it on comp day.

You could well be right about it adding just 50 kilos but that begs the question...

Is it the hook grip itself that becomes the limiting factor or the grip per se? I ask as we both know that I can lift a darn site more than 130 kilos with one hand (190 one hand lift, 1/2 of my 2 hand partials will be 200 kilo plus and so on).

For example I am experimenting with differing styles and hand positions (lower down the bar, leaning the bar back before lifting and so on).

Let me know what you think.

Steve

Saving the hook for the day might not be a bad idea to be honest as you don’t really want to damage anything before the big day.  It might be worth refining the technique though just to ensure you get the most out of the hook grip on the day.

I imagine the inverted gripper should be a good event for you?  After seeing you man-handle the #4 I should think you’ll be able to put in a pretty good time.  Are your holds on the inverted gripper comparable to you strap hold at last years championships?

Steve

Hook grip or no, you still have to be holding on with a tight grip to get a decent weight up.  Personally I find that the last thing you worry about when performing this lift is the weight of the deadlift – there’s too much else to be afraid of ;)

Steve,

Your hand must grasp the top of the bar. Here's the rules.

One Hand Vertical Bar Lift

A 24” long 1” diameter bar, with no knurling, is used for this lift. This bar has a collar welded on the bottom end and stands upright. The bar is to be grasped near the top, and is not to touch the forearm or leg. Your hand must not become locked against your leg. The lift finishes on the referee’s signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

Cor Blimey, I said I'd been practising differing grips including hands down. I didn't say I was going to use that on the day!!

Jimbo. About the same :)

Guest 115-1005574997

I think the best and simplest advice to anyone wanting to do 1" vbar work is to just stop woosing about, put up with the pain and just lift  ;)