I have the grip of an 8 year old girl.

Guest Christian

Guest Christian

Ok, to start, I am 22, 5' 9" and about 157lbs.

2 years ago I lifted routinely and weighed 185lbs and my weights were always progessing wonderfully. I injured my lower back and then moved and slowly lost all of the weight I had gained.

Now, I'm finally settled in a new location and wish to get started on lifting again. So, I bought some stuff, one being a COC trainer. I figured I'd be able to close it no problem. WRONG. I can get it all but 1/8-1/16 inch (almost there) and then it stops (both hands are the same).  The first time I did it I could cheat and overcrush and hold it a good bit, but now I can't even hold it closed.  (Using it about 3 singles or holds every 3 days).

Where do I start with such a terrible grip?  I am going to go get a pair of smooth pliers to try plier strap holds, but I am so frustrated. I can't even practice on a "lower" gripper, unless I go to Walmart and get a generic POS. It seems my strength totally fails at the final point. My sweep is fine, but getting/keeping it shut is a big stick.

...I can't wait to see how weak the rest of my weights have become.

[i've ordered a #1 as well, because I am motivated]

Start by reading the articles on the GripPage.  Tom Black has a good starting out article.

I, too, have the grip of a sleepy 8 year old girl.  When I got the trainer I was scared of it and put it in a drawer.  It's still in the plastic packaging.  I got a set of those crappy wallmart grippers, stripped the foam off and put sandpaper on them with superglue.  I do strapholds with my new "Walmart" trainer.  It seems to be working.  When I started 6 weeks ago I could only hold 2.5 lbs. for 10 seconds.  I'm now up to 12.5 lbs for 25 seconds.  Soon I'll get the real trainer out and start with it.

Hey Dave:

If you are from Clearfield-we ought to get together and train some time!

I have grippers #1-#4 and a PDA 387 plus a garage full of weights, cages, benches, thick bars-the works!

Rick Walker :hehe

That gripper hiding in your dresser drawer will NOT do you any good!!

What are you waiting for..... the mighty Grip Gods to come down and give you the gift of the almighty hand crushing power that you so desperately want??

No.

Take it out, and start using it.  Nobody is going to ridicule you.  And if you need help, we are here - just ask us.  Not being able to close the Trainer is nothing to be ashamed of  (most of the people I work around can't do it either).

And the day you finally close that IM #3, you can personally thank Sybersnott for making it all happen!!  :p

Guest woody36

The "Great One" as spoken!

Syber's right,get it out of the drawer and give it a squeeze

before some 8 year old takes it off you. :D

Guest Reverend
Start by reading the articles on the GripPage.  Tom Black has a good starting out article.

Can you advise exactly where it is?  I was looking for it and must have overlooked it.  Is it in one of the Black Logs?

Guest Christian

I closed it! Two times in a row, and the third all but a hair. Mashed it too. What I did was workout hard with it one day, and the next day, at the same time, I did it again.  It felt good and kind of easy when I did it this time. I was really bummed out before and started to lose confidence, which was probably my first problem.

And the article is here : http://grippage.cyberpump.com/modules....&sid=26

It's really funny; I have a niece celebrating a birthday party over the weekend (she was turning 11).  I decided to take my Trainer and the #2 along (for my brother-in-law).

My niece wanted to close the Trainer.  Didn't happen.  Then her friends wanted to try.  They couldn't do it.  In a group of 10 year old girls, I was pretty sure none of them didn't come close to closing it.

I then showed them how it was done.  Then I did a two-finger close on both the Trainer and the #2.  They were impressed.  And my brother-in-law STILL couldn't close the Trainer (but he came very close).  :p

Guest Christian

My niece wanted to close the Trainer.  Didn't happen.  

I then showed them how it was done.

I don't feel so bad now! :)

Then I did a two-finger close on both the Trainer and the #2.  They were impressed.  

Wait...now I do.

And my brother-in-law STILL couldn't close the Trainer (but he came very close).  :p

Ok, now I feel a little better again. But still in awe. :D

Guest DavidHW

My own theory is that many strong people just have never actually activated the right tendons/muscles/whatever to close even an IM Trainer. Don't despair. You're not weak. You can't expect your body to do something unless you first show it how, right? Get some of that hard putty that rock climbers use and squeeze that. Concentrate on putting the putty down in the palm so that only your ring and pinkie fingers are doing the work. That'll get the brain-hand connection firing that you need to close the Trainer consistently and move up quickly to the No. 1.

Good luck

David

Guest Christian
Don't despair. You're not weak. You can't expect your body to do something unless you first show it how, right?

I'm not weak!

I'm not weak!

<completes self-affirmation on his own time>

Thanks David! The rock climbing putty idea is a very good one. I know that my sticking point lies in the last digits, and that would be a good way to work my way up.

Christian,

If you can (and if your budget allows), get a good grip machine.  This will help you get those grippers closed!  :)

Guest Christian
Christian,

If you can (and if your budget allows), get a good grip machine.  This will help you get those grippers closed!  :)

How much does that beast G-Rex run?

I just shelled out about $700 for vulcan racks/dip racks/grippers/barbells, etc, etc.

I'll have to wait a bit :)

About the G-Rex..... hmmmm,ok till my birthday on the 26th of June price will be  199.00 just give ole Bert a call at 877 LIFTMOR. This is extended to any of my fellow grip brothers on the Grip Page. RS

Train smart!

Thanks Strongman!  :)

Also, check out the hand grip unit at New York Barbells.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

Guest Christian
Thanks Strongman!  :)

Also, check out the hand grip unit at New York Barbells.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

Hahah, that guy looks like he is having too much fun :)

I think I will grab a G-Rex before the end of the month.

I am very serious about my grip training. It's pretty weak right now, but I am young and plan on keeping with it for a lifetime.

I emailed NY barbells and asked a question about 3 weeks ago and have yet to get a response. Are they still in business?

Christian,

Good luck getting anything from them.  I emailed them about getting catalogs to purchase a full equipment set for the high school I work at, we're building a new facility,and they never responded.

David

That guy looks silly with his workout gloves. For a photo op, he should have several fake plates instead of three 25-pound plates. I notice that the grip machine has springs for those who like to apply their bench press method to gripping.

Sorinex provides superior equipment. Always go with the highest quality affordable.

If you can't quite afford the G-Rex, check out "www.wwfitness.com" for some good grip machines all for 100 bucks or less.  These machines are probably as good if not better than the newyorkbarbells grip machine.

The grip machine from NYB is a "beginners" -type grip machine.

It's an easy, plate-loaded machine and within budget for most guys.  (And I haffta agree about that pic of that guy - whatta geek!).  :D

Don't ask for catalogs or other stuff from NYB; just order directly from the website like I did.  I ordered some equipment with NO problem, and it was sent to my doorstep in about a week - no hassles.  Yes, they are still in business.

The G-Rex from Sorinex is on "sale" for $199 + shipping until June 26th (contact Bert for more details on this at www.sorinex.com, or 1-877-LIFT-MOR).

Since they're inexpensive, you could even buy 2 of the grip machines from NYB and load them up to use for farmers walks...

A few other Grip Machines can be found at:

http://www.strengthcats.com/strengthequipment.htm

http://www.hammerstrength.com/product_deta...p?id=hs_gripper

http://www.fractionalplates.com/equipment/equipment45.html

Train smart!

Leave it up to Strongman to find the good links!  :)

I like that "Strengthcats" link.... interesting stuff.  Thanks!!

Guest Christian

That "fat bar" looks like it would be a nice tool for things like reverse curls, bench, OH press. Think it's too narrow for these?

Says it's tubular steel, but only 10lbs. That's pretty light. Would make me look tough because I could put the big plates on it  ;)  lol :)

Anyone got one?