Swimming

Jett

Ive been going over this in my mind for a little while now, ever since my first 2 close. Now.... I think my gripper has become a little bit weaker since its been seasoned, but, I havent really been able to close it as hard as I did the first time..... but, theres something that I did just before that close.... swim! In school we were doing the swimming unit, and this was about 2 days from getting my 2 (it was barely forced closed a couple of times, so practically fresh out of the package), and I came out from a pretty hard days swim, and the gripper just closed hard, I held it, and felt the #### handles grind, since then, there has been no such luck again so far, since, unfourtunately I havent been able to test this again since the swimming unit was over in a day or 2 after... so I wasnt able to find out if A) if it really helped or was a fluke, and B) see if it didnt really matter. Im wondering if anyone here has experienced this, or maybe would try this...

Hi Jett,

No, you didn't found the secret exercise to help close your grippers!! Unfourtunately...

There are a lot of things that interfere with your strength. Just to give you an example: Every weekend I go out with some friends and have a few strong dark beers, EVERYTIME that I get home after this I shut #2 with ease!!! That never happens in any other ocasion!

Can you explain this??? I think it's because alchool is a "blood flow increaser"....

Sorry for my bad English!

Interesting point, that may be an explination.  Swimming sure does get all the juices flowing, without taxing your grip at all.  

I wonder if this would apply to other things as well, possibly running, jumping jacks, or skipping rope to sort of get you going.  Maybe some people will benifit from a little bit of a whole body, blood pumpin warm-up before a grip workout. Its an interesting idea in my mind, I had usually thought of grip as a hand and forearm thing.  Maybe a little bit of warm-ups could go a long way with a lot of people, I never really thought of this before now. What do you guys usually do, if anything, to warm up before a good grip workout?

Get your core temperature up.  And your nervous system a tweekin.

I always do better in grip after my normal workouts.  Whether it's squatting, benching, or whatever. Every time.

I believe bloodflow is a KEY component.  I've ran 3 separate marathons, and I've shut the #2 within two hours after all three (before I started training grip intensely) and it closed with ease.  I was very tired, but the blood flow was there.   ;)

I agree.  Conversely, the worst time for me to close a gripper

is right after waking up in the morning.  Sometimes my hands

are so "dead" I can barely move my fingers.

It is probably a matter of recruiting available

muscle fibers- which are more abundant if the

whole body is warmed up.

But swimming in a tank of dark beer might also help.

I have much better gripper workouts after I do extremely heavy partial deadlift holds in the rack. These holds just seem to warm me up for the grippers rather than take anything away.

Jett,

There's a old post buried here somewhere in which I talk about a hard day that I had at work pinch gripping heavy boxes and moving them around.  I did this for most of the day, and at the end of the day I was real tired.

When I got home, I plopped myself down on the couch.  I looked over and beside me was my #3.  I promptly picked it up and MASHED it completely closed - and HELD it closed!!  I couldn't believe it!  I looked on the bottom handle to see if it was actually my #3.... it was.

Your blood is pumping, juices are flowing... and when I wanted to close it I did.  This is what happened to you.

I have always found that during grip sessions done "cold" (ie. with no other work done before hand) it takes me much longer to feel "ready" to use heavy weight. The same goes with general training - I usually train within 20 minutes of a 20 minute walk home from work. When I train on the weekends it takes much longer to feel ready, even though I always make sure I have an adequate warm-up.

I don't know if we should follow RiotGrip's advice though - I think the marathon might be a little too far.... ;)