From Another Thread Kinda

Bob Lipinski

As I saw Mikael discussiing "one off" comps, this comp that I am doing July 29 is different from my regular Michigan grip comps.

My vision for the future of Michigan grip comps is to once a year have the "Michigan Grip Championships", continued as before, with prizes, many non-standardized or unique events especially ones that Don Larkin has taught us MI grip guys in our time with him.

I also want to run a seperate contest called the "Michigan Grip Invitational", which I what I am having this month. This will also be a yearly event, but it will be no-frills- No prizes, BYOB, etc. My original plan was to have this as a run-up to the GGC, but now I am thinking more along the lines of a Euro-type meet, basically to give local guys a taste of the style of European and international events. For some guys this will be fun, for some guys this may be preparation for a national or international stage.

Also, one no frills event saves me a little money :) as well as the competitors, which I like to do if I am going to hold 2 meets a year. The difference in name is kinda minor, but the idea eventually formed as something discreet in my head. I like the fun and varied events I typically have, but I also want to have something that will be very similar to any "big stage" event.

I hope my little semantics game isn't a problem for any records. If it is, I can just change the name to "Michigan Grip Champs 5". Either way, I will hold 1-2 Michigan grip comps a year.

I am still trying to figure out what a one-off contest is.... :whacked Never heard that word before - does it come from powerlifting?

If you run the Euro-style lifts at the one-off contest, would the numbers count for the records?

Would you still feature the pinch and v-bar at your major contest?

The reason I ask these questions is I eventually want to compete at a contest with the standardized events without having to worry about counting the freaking plates and administer the thing. I was hoping one day to make it to one of yours, but if the numbers are not going to count...

I think you have a good idea in your schedule plans. I don't know how the hell you have kept up your schedule with all the contests you've promoted. Sounds like what you suggest would be a lot easier on you, for sure.

-Jedd-

I hope my little semantics game isn't a problem for any records. If it is, I can just change the name to "Michigan Grip Champs 5". Either way, I will hold 1-2 Michigan grip comps a year.

I was referring to the LGC as an example of a competition with some continuation. Assigning a number to it is obviously up to the organiser.

Good to hear that you intend to make it a yearly event Bob. With calibrated weights you are all set.

For Jedd and others that wonder what I mean by a "one off competiton" I will try explain it in more detail.

The LGC is a competition with continuation and so is the British IG and the Diesel Crew's GGC. In all cases there is some commitment by an organiser to maintain a competition regardless of their own or their friends form of the day.

The champion can be challenged next year by other competitors. A one-off competition is held once and that's it. As such it is more prone to personal agendas.

I think I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

-Jedd-